Monday, October 12, 2009

happy

My favourite weekend of the year is almost over. There's just something about Thanksgiving weekend. It's all about autumn colours, family, food and hiking. There isn't a single commercial element to it, which may be part of the attraction. American Thanksgiving's proximity to Christmas and the fact that it's already winter here in Canada at the end of November (which means endless gloom and rain on the wet coast) means that I'd rather have it now, at actual harvest time.

Saturday we made the return visit to Lindeman Lake, about two hours' drive up the Fraser Valley. It was cold this year, with a brisk wind, but the colours were the stuff Disney's made of. It's a good hike the five or so kilometres up and to the far end of the lake, but then there's the reward of a beautiful, isolated beach at which to picnic, and the easier hike down. I was like a kid in a candy shop, getting lost with my camera. My co-hikers almost went back to look for me, convinced I'd been eaten by bears as punishment for gawking violations. I know it's like postcard overkill, but check out these photos.

I spent Sunday in our sunny kitchen, making the Thanksgiving feast while watching old Woody Allen flicks, followed by food and frivolity with family. Today was for ODing on pumpkin pie and uploading Saturday's photos to Flickr.

Either someone's been spiking my coffee or I have been exposed to a particularly virulent strain of Pollyanna virus because it's all good (which is bad, because I'm losing my edge). I'm actually ready for the long months ahead now.

7 Comments:

Blogger dinahmow said...

No, Andrea, it's not "all bad." Your edge has a stay-sharp factor built in.It's a creativity thing...sometimes, we need to step back for a while.

And I had a weepy drool over at Flickr this morning. I saw "Chilliwack" and couldn't stop the tears. I am pathetic!

12/10/09 7:42 p.m.  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

Gorgeous photos, Andrea! Lots of fall colour.

We don't have much of that this year. We went from hot to frost in a very short time span and a lot of trees dumped every leaf - still green - to the ground in one fell swoop. Rather alarming! And we'd had snow twice in as many days.

I dread to think what winter will be like this year...

12/10/09 8:23 p.m.  
Blogger Laure Ferlita said...

What wonderful, fabulous way to celebrate Thanksgiving! Absolutely stunning images. Just gorgeous!

It will take more than a fabulous weekend and some Pollyanna juice to cause you to lose your edge. Trust yourself!

13/10/09 4:31 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love what you did with your landscape (Oct 4 post)...it's nice to see what a little 'play' can do.

13/10/09 7:56 p.m.  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

If I had my druthers, I'd move our Thanksgiving to October, too. And then New Year's to early spring. Spread thinsg out a bit.

14/10/09 8:26 a.m.  
Blogger nadine said...

The photographs are WONDERFUL!!!

16/10/09 2:43 p.m.  
Blogger alison said...

What beautiful photos - The scenery is stunning!

20/10/09 3:27 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home