Thursday, October 15, 2009

2010 olympic medals unveiled

So ... what do you think? The 2010 Winter Olympic medals were unveiled in Vancouver this morning and there's bound to be controversy over their dramatically different design and shape. I would love to hear your opinion, so please leave a comment.

For more, go here or here.

Vancouver's Olympic organizing committee has unveiled the gold, silver and bronze medals for the 2010 Games. The medals were revealed by B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell at a news conference in downtown Vancouver Thursday morning, designs inspired by the ocean waves, drifting snow and mountainous landscape found in British Columbia and throughout Canada. Each medal features aboriginal artwork and no two medals are alike. The medals are circular in shape and, at between 500 to 576 grams, are the heaviest in Olympic and Paralympic history. The medals are based on two large artworks of an orca whale and raven by Canadian designer Corrine Hunt.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well they certainly were thinking
"outside the box". I think they are very nice.
Lisannerosalie -Surrey, B.C.

15/10/09 9:53 a.m.  
Blogger Ellen said...

I like them. They seemed to have covered all the bases for this region: orcas, ravens, First Nations, the landscape. Of course had they depicted drivers stuck in traffic bitchin' about rain, they would have got to the heart of this great province.

15/10/09 10:29 a.m.  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

I really like them even though I detest the Olympics..Okay I hate the hypocrisy of the bloated bureaucracy and the fat little asshats who skower the world hoarding bribes and gifts while athletes live on Kraft Dinner for four years.

I would get rid of every reference to all of the countries and make the athlete the center of attention...
instead of keeping score on the f*cking medal counts that governments use as a political pissing match.

((ahem))
But the medals are actually really cool, I am totally onboard.

15/10/09 7:59 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

I think they are beautiful and more modern looking than past medals that I've seen.

16/10/09 6:56 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like these. They are really pretty - and interesting. I want to touch them.

16/10/09 7:51 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

I like the tactile aspect of them, too -- they do make you want to touch them. As for the Olympics themselves, I'm ambivalent about them. So much negative comes from them on a social/political level. That said, I am a total Olympics whore. I love the drama/spectacle and I get totally caught up in it for 2 weeks every 2 years.

16/10/09 8:20 a.m.  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Actually, I think they're quite appealing. Much nicer than those crappy looking anime mascots.

Now, if you want my opinion on the Olympics -- nah -- you don't want to read my opinion.

16/10/09 11:30 a.m.  
Blogger Tracey said...

I really like them, nicely encompases the feel of the west coast and looks nice :)

16/10/09 12:26 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

I think they are gorgeous. I love the feel of the water in them. Glad someone was being creative!!

17/10/09 6:46 a.m.  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

Ooh, I really think those are cool. Almost mesmerizing. Bet traditionalists won't like them, though.

18/10/09 6:14 a.m.  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

I'm rather fond of them too. I'd say good for them for thinking outside the box!

19/10/09 6:33 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home