Tuesday, May 12, 2009

valuing the essentials


There's definitely lag time in an economic downturn. 2008 was pretty good for me; in spite of dire predictions of economic disaster Effusion Gallery alone sold 25 of my (mostly small) pieces during only seven months of business. Lately I've been hearing the news of an upswing, though, and SOLD stickers are going up all over the 'house for sale' signs in the neighbourhood. But after the four and a half months of 2009 only one thing (of mine) has sold at the gallery. Ouch.

Time to take matters into my own hands again, though I have heard from those who 'work it' (or at least observe it) over at Etsy and eBay that only the most popular artists are continuing to sell online. I have completely neglected marketing my work and haven't even posted anything over at my so-called sales blog for months. Until today. Do take a peek if you have time. The drawing here is of a Dark-eyed Junco with a seed in its beak, based on a photo I took in December. I like the symbolism here of valuing the essentials when the forecast turns harsh.

12 Comments:

Blogger Laure Ferlita said...

Love your dark-eye junco as well as the trees and shadows piece! I really like the abstraction in both pieces without losing the subject matter.

12/5/09 6:44 p.m.  
Blogger Ellen said...

Very nice piece Andrea, works beautifully in the frame as well.

It's official. You are now the bird lady, which is a title I've been aspiring to as well and thankfully, bares none of the characteristics of a 'cat lady'.

12/5/09 7:26 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like this one and agree with the abstraction comment. Keep up the good work - those sales will start picking up again!

12/5/09 11:46 p.m.  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

As I was re-arranging the living room yesterday, I moved your painting and was just thinking "I'd love to buy another one some time". However, this is not the time - spent the wad on the new couches and have nothing left to spare!

13/5/09 8:00 a.m.  
Blogger Angela Wales Rockett said...

Love this little drawing, Andrea. It's a little Junco, it's by you, and it's blue! What's not to like?!

13/5/09 2:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great piece. I think the economy has hit most of us. It bites.

13/5/09 7:15 p.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

I would if I could but I cant.
I'm having serious thoughts as to whether setting up ETSY is a good idea right now!
But I do rather like your liddle birdies!

13/5/09 8:48 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Laure & Laura: Thanks -- I always need to mix it up a little to stay interested.

Ellen: 'Bird lady' smacks of one of the old maids on the Waltons. Not sure I'm ready for that yet! :)

Heather: You and me both! The bill just came...

Angela: Blue! Of course! (one of your blue paintings is in my "blue corridor")

Di: I've abandoned Etsy personally.

14/5/09 4:31 p.m.  
Blogger kj said...

hello andrea!! how come i'm not stopping by more often, i ask myself whenever i finally glide in and see your ever-wonderful art?

i'm glad 2008 was so fruitful. you deserve it. i hope things pick up well. i'm monitoring my little book sales and loving it.

how are you?

love
kj

14/5/09 6:57 p.m.  
Blogger Vickie said...

Andrea, your work is beautiful! The perfect blend of realistic beauty and patchwork charm. I hear pockets jingling...:)

16/5/09 11:43 a.m.  
Blogger Tracey said...

I love, love, love this one, the colors, the shapes everything & it looks so perfect in the frame. I really like the blues with the grays as well, it really captures the mood :)

17/5/09 9:30 a.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

Avery exquisite and clever piece! Happy Blog Birthday!!! 4 years is a long time but it flew by... I have been lagging in the blogging myself, i seem to get more done when i am not on the computer :)

20/5/09 9:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home