Tuesday, April 14, 2009

stepping out


Black-Billed Magpie ~ coloured pencil and other drawing media on Legion Rising Stonehenge paper

You know that last drawing of the loon? It was one of those 'unconscious drawings' where you sort of check out when you're in the zone. (I even did it in front of the TV.) Maybe it was a momentary lolcat abduction? "I iz inhabitin' ur body bein' clever with ur pencils." As such, it came off without a hitch.


Can you believe that the above drawing, a much simpler one in concept, took about three times as long in actual execution? The strutting magpie wasn't the problem ~ everything else was! Oh well. It's done and now they all need to be framed, packed and shipped, the real gruntwork part of the whole process.

Rudy has put me onto Slate magazine and these two articles, one about Vimeo (YouTube for artists) and one an article/photo essay about semi-detached houses, one of which has been abandoned, are really worth reading.


powerlinerflyers from wes johnson on Vimeo

8 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

I'm letting the vimeo music run while I type this,it's making me type faster.
ooo, the magpie of the corvid family, nicely done, can I have it?:)Magpie, crows have an odd way of walking, reminds me of John Cleese's Monty Python's silly walk.

14/4/09 5:06 p.m.  
Blogger Laure Ferlita said...

You nailed that swagger of the magpie! Love the repeating pattern in the background and the stag.

It's interesting to me how some piece take so long on certain parts (the easy ones if there is such a thing) and the things you're dreading just flow. And it never seems to be the same way twice.

Love the power line flyers - very cool!

14/4/09 7:18 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Maybe your Lolcat abductor is more interested in Magpies than stags, leaves etc.

Its certainly a fab magpie!

15/4/09 4:08 a.m.  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

I like Magpies because they will eat anything that doesn't move. They help clean up the place.

The Stag is so majestic..but I can't help hearing 'RUN BAMBI RUN!"Damn you Disney!

15/4/09 6:31 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Ellen: I 'discovered' magpies in Alberta last summer. We need them here!

Laure: I love the video! Such an amazing match of music and bird flight.

Caro: I guess. being a lolCAT, that makes some sense! :)

Mr C: They're more decorative than crows, too.

15/4/09 5:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all a mystery to me. But I am liking the birds.

17/4/09 4:18 p.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

your bird in very beautiful! it is weird how something difficult is simple and vice a versa :) loved the bird video and the story about the buildings was sad, imagine having a cool old building like that and fixing it up!

17/4/09 4:35 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

...I always love your bird art. It's so interesting how you combine all the elements. (The video was a hoot--perfect fit with the music.)

21/4/09 3:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home