Sunday, May 24, 2009

why I love my job

A couple of months ago I got an email from Tom Shermer, who bought Birdland (see the WIP post here). He is a terrific photographer and a birder, so I was not at all surprised to learn that he is an aspiring artist, too. For some reason my work appeals more to artists than other kinds of buyers, which tickles me no end. What he wrote is the kind of thing every artist wants to hear, i.e. that their efforts have prodded, even inspired, someone else to do the same. It totally made my month:

I wanted to let you know that your symbolic work (the whole of primal landscapes and planes of being and earthworks, for instance) really inspire me. In that work I see a real, effective, powerful synthesis of bright color and personal imagery that is a beacon that encourages me to keep stumbling in that direction--the painting direction that I've always been drawn to. I've never accomplished as integrated a work as any of your pieces, and so that direction has always looked bleak to me. I have wondered, if I kept going that way, if there was anything convincing and beautiful to be found there. And seeing your work, I have concluded that there is.


He was kind enough to include photos of Birdland in his condo. There was a closer shot, but I love this fisheye one, especially as it shows his bright colour scheme -- and how neatly Birdland fits in (it's on the left-hand side):


Why else do I love my job? Because, being an artist, I have an instant 'in' to occasionally meeting other artists whose work I admire. Yesterday was one of those days. I had first seen Tracey Costescu's
work when jurying an FCA show and was impressed by its sensitivity. The watercolour to the left was one of the works in the show. I was pleased to discover her blog and yesterday I got to meet her at Coquitlam's Frogstone Grill where she's having a solo show in the piano bar area. Very nice and understated! Do check her work out if you're out in that direction. It finishes June 8th.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

Tracey's watercolour is lovely and what a wonderful compliment from Tom. I do think your primal landscape series rock. But of course, I love all your birds too. Have you permanently moved on from the primal series?

24/5/09 9:39 p.m.  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

Just wanted to say hi. I was visiting and catching up and having fun playing at your house. I can't wait to find out about the new dog possibility. Do they have "Furminators" in Canada? They're the greatest invention for grooming dogs and cats as they remove a ton of fur. I filled an entire empty Kleenex box with fur from my two cats when I brushed them with the furminator today. At least with a black dog you can wear black clothes without looking too furry. Not so with my calico and tabby cat fur. No black worn in this house.

25/5/09 12:33 a.m.  
Blogger Melody said...

Tracy's work is beautiful and I'll be adding her blog to my favs list.
What a wonderful compliment from Tom. If it was me I would hang it in my studio so I could see it everyday. Just as a reminder of how inspiring (your) work is and what it means to one of your buyers.

25/5/09 4:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an incredible compliment aboutyour work!

25/5/09 5:34 p.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Did I ever mention that I rather like your primal series? Oh, yeah! That's right...I'm supposed to be doing something with Epoch...runs away in shame.
I will. Very soon.

26/5/09 12:09 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Oh yes lets hear it again for the primal landscapes!

26/5/09 1:48 p.m.  
Blogger Tracey said...

What a great compliment from Tom! I would tack that on my wall for days when my paintings are not cooperating with me ;)

It was great meeting you & Mala & I am looking forward to getting together again for the BBQ as you suggested :)

BTW, I don't know if I mentioned, that piece that you like is of my hubby! I never thought he would pose for me, too funny!

26/5/09 2:04 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Ellen: Thanks and no -- I just have no time at all right now to do anything and when I do other stuff (for Effusion Gallery) always takes precedence. One day...

Jana: Dog coming soon! And I haven't heard of Furminators. Sound great!

Melody & Citizen: I was pleased!

Dinah: I have so many things on my To Do list, too!

Caro: Thanks. :)

Tracey: I just hope you didn't work from life but ratehr from a photo. If you worked from life he must have awesome leg muscles to hold the pose! :)

26/5/09 4:34 p.m.  
Blogger Art4Sol said...

What a well deserving compliment to you...I know it made you fell great! It's a beautiful piece!

28/5/09 7:24 p.m.  
Blogger San said...

Tom is really articulate in describing what your art means to him. No wonder you are so pleased knowing he owns your art. And his living space is exciting. You're right. It's the perfect setting for Birdland.

Thank you for the introduction to Tracey's strong art too.

3/6/09 12:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home