Friday, September 19, 2008

fraser downs

fd35fd31
Today is opening day at Fraser Downs, the harness race track in the Vancouver suburb of Cloverdale. On Tuesday night Michelle and Austin arrived on our doorstep after making the long trip from Calgary in one go. So on Wednesday morning we headed to Fraser Downs, me with my sad little excuse for a camera next to Michelle and her Nikon D80. Now there's a woman who might get smothered in her bed. Michelle is a way better salesman than me and managed to get us past security and into the backstretch so we could take more photos. These are mine. I won't show you Michelle's because they make me look bad :).






Here are a couple of 'arty' shots. The rest of the set is here.

12 Comments:

Blogger Mim said...

Very Cool! I love the colors. My grandfather use to love harness racing.
I just love the smell of horses (is that wierd?)

19/9/08 6:29 p.m.  
Blogger kj said...

i think your photos are beautiful.

:)

20/9/08 9:59 a.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Ooh! Sulkies! There's another strong memory.

20/9/08 2:17 p.m.  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

What's wrong with these pix?

You love the horsies, don't you? I think you did a post on this last year at this time too...

They are beautiful animals...

21/9/08 9:53 a.m.  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Love them trotters. Great pics.

22/9/08 8:05 a.m.  
Blogger Barbara said...

Did you play with the second to last one in photoshop? The colours are glorious! Are you going to create another work for the ACS Fraser Downs competition? If so, you have some great images to work with!

22/9/08 8:59 a.m.  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

My fave is the first arty pic by the barns, that is suh-weet.

Do you see any Ravers buying PCP from the trainors?

22/9/08 2:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the row of red barns!
a.

22/9/08 3:57 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Michelle: Not weird at all -- I do, too!

KJ: Back atcha! :)

Dinah: Of...?

WW: I do, indeed, love the horsies. There's something about pacers that I particularly like to photograph, as you've noticed!

Ian: Thanks.

Barbara: The last two are 'shopped'. I would enter the competition again if the judging was a little more, shall we say, competent, but 2005 and 2006 were both a bit suspect so have stayed away.

Prof: Are you implying that the backstretch is a *seedy* place? :) (Or is it just that you want me to score for you next time I go back...?)

Andie: It's a lovely setting.

23/9/08 12:22 p.m.  
Blogger Hayden said...

Barns, beautiful barns! I'm obsessed right now and that pic was just what I needed to feed it.

24/9/08 6:16 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I love the motion you've caught - what an amazing way to race!

24/9/08 9:01 a.m.  
Blogger Alda said...

Well, I don't know what Michelle's pics are like but I happen to think yours are pretty good!

29/9/08 2:14 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home