Saturday, August 30, 2008

seasons exhibition in invermere

This blog has devolved into something of a vacation roadshow this summer but bear with me, autumn and its serious work, introspective reflection and philosophical ruminations on the philosophy of aesthetics is almost here. Or not. Anyway, I'm Canadian which means I'm culturally required to mention the weather and if the temperature this week was any indication, fall is already here.

I have spent days sorting through the 800-some photos I snapped like a rabid, vista-starved retiree. Isn't this a pretty shot? I took it in Invermere at about 8 pm the night before the gallery opening. Property prices in Invermere are appalling because, as you can see, this spot is a little piece of paradise. I have never seen so many golf courses, mountain views, lakes, rivers, ski hills, hot springs and west-coast-hip villages crammed into such a few square countries (by European standards). Rich Albertans with their oil money have made it the resort destination of choice. Not only that, they buy art! And they did. In spite of the heat, four of my works sold the day of the reception and five have sold since then, not to mention the other smaller work that seems to walk out the door on a regular basis. Not bad for a gallery that's only been in business for three months. Kudos to Kate, the business manager, and Heather, the owner/artist-in-
residence, for doing such a great job.

If you look closely, you'll see me working at the table in the gallery's courtyard. It was a hot one that day, mid to upper 30s, but I sweated it out like the trouper I am. You know -- protestant work ethic and all that.

A fair number of people stopped by to chat and see what I was up to. Is there anything better than talking about me-me-me for three hours straight while people look at my work? Look out Hollywoood!



These are my biggest supporters. They know that if I manage to sell all 13 of this series they'll get Rock Band for the XBox. All of a sudden they're taking an interest in my art like never before. Children are such a comfort in one's old age, aren't they?

Greg was flipping through the local rag, The Columbia Valley Pioneer, the day before the show, while I was busy imposing my Olympics obsession on the entire family. (Yes, I'm an addict and yes, I love beach volleyball! So there.) He discovered this:

Stay tuned for more of the roadshow in future episodes. You'll want to find your dark glasses now so you can fall asleep without me noticing.

24 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

15 yrs ago Invermere was what, a logging camp? thank god for Canadian oil money if it helps them host nice galleries and gives you those sales -9+! Well done and well deserved! Sending good juju your way for more sales for the long weekend. (Can I come over and play Rock Band? I heard it's great)

30/8/08 7:18 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I'm so glad they are going done well there.

(After Ellen with that XBox.)

31/8/08 3:35 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Burble burble - I don't know what my spilling is coming to...

In my defence I was attempting to type whilst Jim was telling me he'd missed the chance to say, on TV, in response to the question "which is the largest muscle in the human body?":

That would be the arse, Dr. Alice.

Now I'll try again.

I'm so glad they, your pictures, obviously not your arse, went down well and so many have already sold!

Maybe I'll just stop...

31/8/08 3:38 a.m.  
Blogger Mim said...

What great art placement, the spot behind the wine table, 'cause that is a clustering up spot duing an opening!
Congrats!

31/8/08 8:49 a.m.  
Blogger Peyton said...

Congratulations on selling your art!!!! What a GREAT feeling eh?

31/8/08 10:03 a.m.  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Congratulations on all the sales of your art work - terrific!

It sounds like Invermere is like Aspen in the US.

Like your supporters, my daughter also has a vested interest in my work. :)

31/8/08 10:13 a.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Andrea, congratulations on the successful show & sale and publicity in the paper. Very cool.

31/8/08 2:21 p.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

More congrats from me. And now, having spit my coffee while reading Caro's commnet, I'll clean up...

31/8/08 3:17 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

FS: Thanks.

Ellen: I must admit that I have ulterior motives with Rock Band. As for Invermere, all this success has gone to its head. The service was, shall we say, "needs improvement".

Caro: How many arses do you think I possess? (Maybe none any more since, according to you, I sold most.) D'oh!

Michelle: And not only that, they covered even more of the wall behind. I felt honoured. :)

Peter: The best. Well, maybe not THE BEST -- but darned close.

Cytnthia: Whistler (one of the sites of the 2010 Olympics) is more like your Aspen. Invermere is maybe a miniature version with less good skiing.

Kiki: Thanks -- it was fun to discover it by mistake.

Dinah: Can you wipe my chin, too, please?

31/8/08 7:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha ha...loved your teens helping out to get rock band! I think I just saw myself being forshadowed here. Congrats on selling so many pieces AND getting a nice big print page. You are so inspiring Andrea! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us this fall!
Hugs,
a.

1/9/08 7:10 a.m.  
Blogger Peyton said...

I'm not even gonna think about what you might mean by THE BEST!!!

1/9/08 8:12 a.m.  
Blogger Hayden said...

How EXCITING! Congrats, it all sounds just wonderful, and brought a huge smile to my face this lazy Labor Day morning.

1/9/08 8:19 a.m.  
Blogger tlchang said...

That is fabulous! And well deserved. I know it's always iffy - will things sell? Economy-eschwaonomy, etc. etc... but if anyone is going to, it ought to be you!

My kids (who also love Rock Band - they have to borrow it however) also have a vested interest, for similar reasons. That helps when they are having to forage in the fridge for dinner the third night in a row this week...

Am looking forward to more roadshow posts. :-)

1/9/08 1:02 p.m.  
Blogger Kim said...

wow fantasic blog Andrea..and your work is awesome..
I have added your sites to the Directory :) :)
cheers Kim

1/9/08 2:21 p.m.  
Blogger kj said...

andrea, for all the time i've been reading your blog, hard work has seemed to outpace success. not today.

selling nine pieces and being duly recognized is where you are right now. I hope you savor it, because you deserve all of it.

:)

1/9/08 8:15 p.m.  
Blogger Paula In Pinetop said...

Congrats !!!!!

2/9/08 7:29 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Andie: No Rock Band yet and school's back in. My poor kids! :)

Hayden: Such a nice comment ~ thank you!

Tara: That reminds me - I need to go grocery shopping...

Kim: Thanks, Kim, you do a great service.

KJ: The work itself is the main reward but this is the cherry on top.

Paula and Peter: :)

2/9/08 7:34 a.m.  
Blogger Melody said...

Congratulations Andrea....you gotta love a gallery that sells that much work. I'm so happy for you. Do they have room for a Mixed Media Artist? Just asking!

2/9/08 7:53 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for selling a bunch of your stuff! Will your kids get the XBox thingy after all?

2/9/08 2:58 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Andrea, congratulations on the sales!! That's great and it's always fun to read your posts, even about your vacation. Actually, I'd love to see where you were. It looks awesome.

2/9/08 6:01 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome! and well deserved sales that is. And i don't mind the travel photos either.

3/9/08 10:45 p.m.  
Blogger San said...

Andrea, I love your roadshow! And the glimpse of the gallery. Congratulations on a successful show and an inspiring experience. You are SO DESERVING of your success!!!!

There's a song dedication for you at my place. Today I'm turning (gulp) 55.

4/9/08 8:12 a.m.  
Blogger nadine said...

Love my digital camera.
Hate how many photos it allows me to take...
Congratulations on the success of your show! (Should help offset some of the 3000km fuel bill?) A nice reward for all your hard work :-)

4/9/08 2:07 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Melody: I think you should approach them! I mentioned you earlier but I think the idea got lost in the shuffle of their startup.

Citizen: it took us until last Christmas to even allow a video game system in the house so don't hold your breath -- though I'm pretty sure I could really get into this game! (Another good reason to delay getting it!)

Deb: Thanks for the kind words and I will be back soon with photos I hope!

Toni: Excellent. I like to look at other peoples' travel photos, too, though I know it's boring to most people.

San: Loved visiting your blog. It's always such a breath of fresh air.

Nadine: It is great. And helped with the slump after returning home.

6/9/08 2:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home