Thursday, July 24, 2008

indian summer vine


So, I reached an impasse. There are 13 months in the Celtic lunar tree calendar: three for each season and ... lucky number 13? The months are not divided neatly along seasonal lines, and I'd been using a little creative license with that anyway, but still ~ what do I do with the extra? In the end I decided that Vine (Muin), from September 2nd - September 29th, neatly fit into its own category, 'Indian Summer'. OK, so now I'm crossing cultures like I mix metaphors, but there was nothing traditionally (or should I say 'remotely') Celtic about the way I was creating these images anyway, and both cultures are connected by their roots in the natural world, so I decided it worked just fine. Nine down, four to go. I'm starting to miss my paintbrushes.

The Vine is the symbol of sensuality and emotions. Its symbol, the white swan, represents the radiant divinity of the Gods who are said to go to their underground forts during the Autumn Equinox. To the Celts, the Autumn Equinox is a time when the light will eventually give up its hold to the darkness, but for a brief moment all is in balance. The lizard and planet Venus are associated symbols.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

Looks great and only 4 left. Love that red, what are you using? (but isn't it nice not having to wash brushes for a while? my least favourite painting related task)

24/7/08 4:51 p.m.  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

I've enjoyed this series - I really wish I could see them all together on a wall somewhere. They're great one by one, but I think they'd be even better all together.

25/7/08 6:35 a.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Well, a merging or crossing of the cultural divide is no bad thing to me.(Anyway, are there not many similarities in the beliefs of all cultures?)
You've really given yourself a "lift" with this series, Andrea and I'm with heather - I'd like to see the complete set.

25/7/08 2:23 p.m.  
Blogger Hayden said...

Wow, I LOVE this one. didn't know that venus and lizards were related... that has me scratching my head. wonder what planet venus meant to the celts...

26/7/08 7:56 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Ellen: You're right. It's like forgetting about labour and deliver and morning sickness. There's always a downside. As for the red, that was done with a Prismacolor pencil.

Heather: I'm looking forward to seeing them on the wall together at the gallery in Invermere. I'll take photos!

Dinah: I must admit that at this point I'm just looking forward to completing the complete set...

Hayden: I know -- some of these associations are a bit weird to me, too. I'm sure there's an explanation if I dig further.

26/7/08 8:14 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of my birthday being in a season all it's own!.

26/7/08 4:25 p.m.  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Fantastic and I enjoyed reading about the symbolism too.

Eh, sometimes we improvise...

29/7/08 6:10 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

I don't always leave a comment, but I always love coming here to drink in your art with my hungry eyes. I leave feeling fed.

2/8/08 11:31 a.m.  
Blogger Hayden said...

I wonder - venus transitions quickly I believe (?) lingers beautifully around the sunrise/sunset. Sunrise/sunset are 'gateway' themes, they mark the change from one element - day - to the opposite, night.

Lizards - and snakes - are often symbols of mystic transition too - because of their skin shedding transformation, emerging brilliant hued against a dusky husk.

Perhaps the connection is there... but this is guesswork.

3/8/08 8:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home