Saturday, July 12, 2008

summertime

jay
From an email to a friend this morning:

As for us, it’s off to Cowichan Lake tomorrow so I’ll be doing an uber shopping today. The garden is as immaculate as it ever gets (though I forgot to get frames for my three tomato plants so they’ve pretty much taken over the front bed) so I’m prepped otherwise. I was looking at the lawn after Carl mowed it yesterday, wondering why people pull out all the stops to keep theirs green at this time of year. Ours is a uniform yellow now, as it should be, and I like it that way. If it’s not growing there’s no maintenance! And what a huge waste of water to keep it growing. We have 1/3 acre and it would be a losing battle anyway.

I have an artist friend in Baltimore who I fell out with a couple of years ago (we don’t talk politics or religion any more :) but re-established contact with earlier this year and he sent me a package yesterday of 36 new Prismacolor pencils, a Maoist worker’s cap and one of his watercolours. It was like Christmas. He’s a big guy with a large, white beard and recently, while shopping, a little girl waved to him and said “Hi Santa!” so I’m thinking he really IS Santa. (Who knew he spent his summers in Maryland?) Anyway, this is a tiny drawing, 3” x 3”, and my first attempt to play with my new pencils after it took five songs on my MP3 player to sharpen them all. I wanted to do something more traditional. I drew it in failing light, while watching my 300 millionth rerun of Law and Order, so didn’t notice I’d ‘missed a few spots’ until I scanned it. I’m taking my pencils with me and hoping to do a few plein air drawings while holidaying on the lake.

Will there be picnics and ice cream while we're there? Here's hoping:

Ice Scream
artist unknown

16 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Gorgeous Jay. Who gets credit for that hilarious Icescream photo? That cracks me up.

12/7/08 10:04 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Kiki: Isn't it great? I wish I could credit the artist but it ws one of those random email forwards. (I probably shouldn't even post it.) If anyone knows please tell me as I'd love to give full credit.

12/7/08 10:18 a.m.  
Blogger mimi said...

Well, you know I love birds, and we get all the jays and corvids here but the true blue jay, so pretty. I see pinon jays, stellars jays and scrub jays here, but have to go to town to see and hear the blue jay.

12/7/08 10:43 a.m.  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

The jay is incredible, Andrea. That was a neat little story about you and santa and your falling out and falling back in...

Geez, I thought YOU had done Ice Scream...it's amazing and funny.

12/7/08 1:39 p.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Blogger ate my witticism! I said that picture was by a chap called Munch;it was funny the first time!
I also said that one of the junior cousins stirred his mixed-veg-mush into a credible Mickey Mouse.And I said that I'm now torn between canoe and jay.
(But I think the postie would struggle with the canoe, so can I please buy the jay?)
Enjoy the lake!

12/7/08 2:29 p.m.  
Blogger Ellen said...

I can't believe that's coloured pencil on black paper, it looks like pastel, it's so vibrant.

Food art makes me smile, don't know why. Have a great trip in Cowichan "canoodling" as you said.

12/7/08 2:47 p.m.  
Blogger Alda said...

I LOVE that ice scream photo. Too precious!

Enjoy your time away!

12/7/08 2:55 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Molly: I've never actually seen a Blue Jay here, I just copied from a book. :( It was an experiment after all.

WW: I wish I'd done Ice Scream, too. Maybe when I get REALLY good...

Dinah: Thanks, D. I should be packing right now rather than pecking (see, I can witticism -- lamely -- too).

Ellen: A canoe, a sketchbook, a guitar, mask/snorkel and a BBQ -- my expectations are high. And the weather is supposed to hold!

Alda: Thanks and on that note, off I go to pack...

13/7/08 7:41 a.m.  
Blogger Hayden said...

Lovely jay - it would make a fabulous embroidery (which, at first glance, I confess I thought it was!)

(and FINALLY I managed to get the Ikea frames and am pondering placement. They don't sell them online here, and my local stores were "not in stock" for the longest time. As soon as I figure it out I'll hang, take pic, post.)

13/7/08 6:24 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love blue jays - so sure of themselves. Enjoy your time off!

14/7/08 12:59 a.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

i love prismacolors! Your picture is beautiful :)
Have a wonderful adventure and Thank You for your sweet words about Rat :(

15/7/08 12:18 p.m.  
Blogger kj said...

oh i hope you have a good time...

:)

16/7/08 12:25 a.m.  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Good news, Andrea! Merlin is fine! :) No cancer!

16/7/08 8:07 a.m.  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Really like the Blue Jay. The ice cream Scream plate is a hoot!

16/7/08 8:53 a.m.  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

I just love 'Ice Scream'. Do you know that in all the years I've lived on the Island I've never been to Cowichan Lake I'm so ashamed.

16/7/08 2:22 p.m.  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

WhatEVERpeg has had buckets of rain every second day so our lawns and gardens are gorgeous!

I really dig gettin your Jay-on with your Crayon Maaaan..noisy egg stealing bastards are so beautiful, you are so kewl...you just get an idea and put it on paper while watchin Tv..doo de doo de doo...

Did you jump when you were sharpening your new pencils and the ((DUHN)) scene change audio cues ((DUHN))on Law and Order ((DUHN))came on...((DUHN))about 100 per episode ((DUHN))
That Ice Scream is a riot.

I'm becoming a sentimental old fool because I just love hearing these stories about old friends making up..awww...
almost as much as I love hearing stories about old friends making out...that's always really cool too.

16/7/08 8:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home