Tuesday, July 08, 2008

summer oak


I'm back and functioning. Serious virus problems with my laptop on the weekend have kept me away for days but I'm up and running again thanks to Greg's hard work.
OAK (Duir) June 10 - July 7
The principal sacred tree of the Druids, oak trees symbolize the turning of the year. During this time of year the Druids would carve a circle in to the tree for protection against lightning. In this tree I drew a Golden Circle in the trunk of the tree. Associated symbols: the white horse and the planet Jupiter.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

This is such a great series, I love the way you drew the tree. I'm guessing your 12 yr old self would have loved to hang this horse themed one in your room.

8/7/08 8:09 p.m.  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Sorry to hear about the virus - I try to be so careful, but have had to reformat my computer once (I hope not to repeat that again).

Lovely drawing too!

9/7/08 5:56 a.m.  
Blogger Lisa M Griffin said...

gorgeous work and really insightful. I love the history that goes into your creative process. Thanks for sharing.

9/7/08 6:08 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Lovely oak and horses. That sounds a bit like a pub doesn't it?

We watched a documentary on lightning a couple of days ago... interesting what things people have thought would protect them... and also how scary the damage can be!!

9/7/08 6:50 a.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Ooh! Another Dinah favourite! Love the composition and colour way.
And, of course, the fey side of me gets a thrill from this one. "Golden Bough" and all that.
(Fancy Caroline thinking it sounds like a pub!She's dead right, of course!)

9/7/08 3:17 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been away, so I'm just catching up. Still loving the tree series.

9/7/08 5:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home