Sunday, August 03, 2008

church on sunday

Today's 'service' was a hike at beautiful Golden Ears Provincial Park, about an hour east of where we live (and, weirdly, where First Blood was filmed). I really needed the break after spending most of the time that I haven't been working at the hospital (or doing the 45-minute drive to/from) since my dad had a bad one in an ongoing series of strokes two weeks ago. He's feeling better now, i.e. complaining endlessly and alienating all the nurses and hospital staff, so things are looking up! :)

We hiked five kilometres up to Gold Creek Lookout and had a picnic lunch. The weather was perfect (mid 20s) so it was cool in the forest.









On our way back down we stopped beside Gold Creek, which is so incredibly clear -- and tasty!














Back to the salt mines tomorrow.



8 Comments:

Blogger Zig said...

That truly is beautiful.
Canada is on our list of places we must visit and getting closer to the top!

3/8/08 11:40 p.m.  
Blogger jafabrit said...

We hiked an hour yesterday in the Glen, not as magnificent as your hike, but good for the soul nevertheless.

Great photos.

4/8/08 5:07 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

What an inspiration. Thanks for sharing pictures. Andrea, I'm sorry to hear about your dad. It's hard to run around and take care of parents and kids.

4/8/08 8:00 a.m.  
Blogger Catnapping said...

definitely heaven.

my prayers for you and your dad. i loved working in hospitals, but i sure as hell hate sleeping in one. my heart goes out to both of you.

love,
cat

4/8/08 11:45 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are the best kind of services.

4/8/08 3:40 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Zig: The photos don't do it justice. It was boringly high noon -- not the best lighting conditions. But come and take your own early-morning and late-evening photos!

Jafabrit: Communing with God at its finest, n'est-ce pas?

Deborah: I'm a shining example of the sandwich generation! Not only that, I make a lot of sandwiches...

Catnapping: I seem to be checking out hospitals a lot these days and understand the whole human drama part of working in one but I'm with you -- I'll sleep in my own bed, thanks.

Dinah: It was.

Citizen: The most spiritual of services!

4/8/08 4:36 p.m.  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

Sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure that being in this spectacular place was very healing and I'm glad he's doing better too. Great photos!

4/8/08 11:24 p.m.  
Blogger Hayden said...

So sorry to hear about your dad. Difficult. Very.

Your hike, though! Souls balm, Absolute perfection. I wasn't raised going to church. My dad said Sunday School was best experienced in the world created by god, not a house made by men, so we often spent it in a canoe. I still find more solace on a river than anywhere else.

8/8/08 8:09 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home