Saturday, September 06, 2008

crossing bridges

I promised to come back with more roadshow, but this past week had to make a major detour. It wasn't a huge sacrifice, though, because I've sort of lost interest in keeping up with my online life lately. I haven't been visiting many blogs and, with one brief exception, have totally abandoned any pretence at checking Crackbook. Maybe it's just a time/stress thing, but I did notice this summer that during my long breaks from the Awesome Power of the Interwebs I didn't suffer from discomgooglation at all. This is new for me.


This past week I have been the poster child for the sandwich generation. My 81 year old father's most recent stroke in July was a serious one, and it was only a matter of time until a bed opened up in an extended care nursing home. While driving my kids to their first day of school I got the call. Between getting my dad installed, dismantling his old life and dealing with a class-scheduling crisis with my younger son it's been a drop-five-pounds-from-the-stress sort of week. I'm not patient when dealing with bureacridiocy at the best of times and this was a week full of the worst kind of fuckups. I spent a great deal of time crossing bridges from where I am now to where I grew up on the North Shore. And yes ~ I mean that metaphorically at least as much as physically. Last night was my first chance to relax so we settled down in front of a DVD and a preview for the movie The Savages came on. I almost leaped out of my chair (OK, off the sad-sack futon that we should have trashed 10 years ago) as I suddenly saw my brother, dad and myself in a series of video bytes. (I like that Laura Linney plays me.) My brother, who is even more of a movie nut than me (and even works in the industry as a storyboard artist), has been telling me to watch it for six months. A perspicacious friend has also been urging me to see it. It's on order at the library at this very moment. Fortunately Rob and I have a well-developed sense of the ridiculous (we also have another brother whose sense of humour is not quite so, er, evolved) so actually appreciate the amazing fodder for comedy our father has provided us. The anxiety and worry has been nicely balanced with side-splitting moments. Too bad the film has already been made.




Now, I am weeks behind with my commissions, so my next move is to get back to work. Until I'm back, here are a few eye-candy type doctored photos from the Great Western Canadian Road Trip.

15 Comments:

Blogger tlchang said...

Andrea, I hope things can settle down for you a bit now - between school and your father's situation and work, etc... I know how *life* can be, but certainly have missed your online presence. Interesting thing, this whole webby phenom - read an article today on 'social networking', on how Facebook, twitter, Flicker, text messaging and the like, kind of lead to a sort of 'ambient awareness' of otherwise very tangental aquaintences... Not necessarily a bad thing, but can be addictive and a time-sucker.

My personal addiction has worsened tremendously with the purchase of my shiny new and very fast laptop, and its wireless omnipresence on my studio desk... Am trying to decide what to do about that.

Hugs and good wishes.

6/9/08 6:28 p.m.  
Blogger Ellen said...

I am glad things are settling down for you and your dad is getting settled in.

I'm a bit afraid of reading that article on internet use, I believe I'm floating down de nile on that one.
(And your perspicacious friend had to go look up 'perspicacious'!)

6/9/08 7:18 p.m.  
Blogger Melody said...

Glad your finding life a bit more settled nowadays but I sure have missed you not being online as much. Totally understandable though. Looks like a wonderful trip. Love the pics!

7/9/08 5:55 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Tara: Thanks for the words of support. I know you know how it is! (At least I have my health :) And I'm very excited for you and all your new gadgets. I'm fixated on getting a new camera myself. Maybe for Xmas.

Ellen: Thanks -- sometimes I feel like it's just begun but I think you're right: once he's settled and all his affairs are in order it should get a lot easier.

Melody: I was a bit obsessive I think with my camera. If I get a better one I'll just get worse and we can't have that, can we? :) And thank you, too.

7/9/08 6:06 p.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

OK, I'm not saying the "H" word, but...especially the second one.
Don't bust yourself on this toy.But please don't leave us for too long!

7/9/08 7:13 p.m.  
Blogger Terry said...

I'm sorry to read about your difficult week(s); I certainly understand the need for a break from the online life when real life needs more attention. As part of jumpstarting my own return to online, I spent last week looking for new sites to enjoy.

I enjoyed my discovery of your blog so much that I want to share it with everybody - to that end I am passing along the Arte-y-Pico award; you can read more about it on my site (Sept. 6 post) and pass it along it you choose - hopefully, as your life settles down again you will be back, sharing your fantastic artwork again.

Thanks,

Terry

http://terryrafferty.blogspot.com

7/9/08 7:33 p.m.  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh said...

ohh wow these are wonderful photos! reading you feels like im no the same journey! 8)

btw im updating my blogroll and im keeping your link there too 8)

8/9/08 12:20 a.m.  
Blogger Paula In Pinetop said...

These photos are inspiring.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment. This meant a lot to me Andrea.

8/9/08 8:04 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound a little overwhelemed. I have the Savages sitting on my TV, and hope to see it this week.

8/9/08 11:42 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're back blogging. I don't read that many blogs (takes too much time)but I enjoy what you think, write, make - and the super links. Being in the sandwich can be trying, I know, but when the one slice of bread falls away it feels strange and takes lots of time to find the new balance!

8/9/08 12:07 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I do hope that now your father is getting more care in a home you'll finally get more time and space for yourself.

I love those photos and can't wait to see what paintings your trip inspires! (I'm assuming there will be lots of bones rather than pretty landscapes... ;-)

9/9/08 12:35 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Dinah: I'm ashamed to admit it but you lost me: the H word?

Terry: Thanks for visiting -- loved visiting your blog.

Atomicvelvetsigh: Thank you so much and I'm visiting you after this. It's been too long.

Paula: Likewise. :)

Citizen: You MUST give me your personal feedback after watching it!

Laura: Slice of bread -- that's good. It's a funny situation isn't it, a bit of both yin and yang. (And thanks for the kind words.)

Carolien: Maybe both! I can't even think about them yet, though.

9/9/08 10:32 a.m.  
Blogger San said...

Andrea, I have some worries with my mom. She hasn't had a stroke, but she has many physical limitations now and is pretty much homebound. And she loves her house. She downsized to a new, small townhouse after my dad passed on and I can't see her giving it up, but I do worry.

I saw The Savages a few weeks ago. Wasn't that Laura Linney character great? And I adore Philip Seymour Hoffman too. It was a great movie.

These images you've put up are pure magic. And yes, we could use some magic.

9/9/08 3:43 p.m.  
Blogger nadine said...

Thinking of you. Hope things are settling down.
Life.

10/9/08 6:05 p.m.  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

It was good to check in and see what you've been up too. So much beauty in your country - your photos are terrific. I understand about the sandwich generation. It can be such a source of guilt for me since I don't really do enough. I'm just waiting for the day I get the call about my mom who's turning 85 this year. Cleaning out her house will be a total nightmare since she has a horrible clutter problem. My sis and I have given up trying to help with it since she just restocks all the crap. This is my first time in a month or more visiting blogs so I understand your disconnecting. Amazing how much time it creates in your life.

26/9/08 8:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home