Sunday, June 18, 2006

weekend photos

This weekend was the final Saturday of the footy season. Here are a couple of my better action shots.


Australian Football, or the modified kids' version called Auskick, is not exactly common in North America or Europe. A few years ago a local guy (Canadian, but lived Down Under and played Aussie Rules for years) started a fledgling league for kids in the suburb of Vancouver where I live. My boys starting playing the second year, and we were immediately hooked. It's now a league of 130 kids, both my boys play, my husband coaches, and I am the league registrar. It is the best game ever for the kids to play and the adults to watch. There are none of the nasty politics so prevalent in junior soccer and hockey, and it's not the violent sport that got such a bad rap in the '70s and '80s. It beats me why it doesn't catch on more outside of Australia and a couple other southern hemisphere countries.

But enough sport. Gardeners: what are these flowers called? Once they take hold they spread like weeds. Maybe they are weeds. In any case, my garden is overrun with them.

12 Comments:

Blogger albina said...

pinks

18/6/06 8:36 p.m.  
Blogger albina said...

Dianthus chinensis, I think... the flower.

18/6/06 8:38 p.m.  
Blogger kyknoord said...

Great action shots. I really like the way the colours balance.

18/6/06 11:09 p.m.  
Blogger tlchang said...

Actually, I believe it is rose campion. It self seeds like crazy - while dianthus spread slowly from their bases. I think they (campion) are moderately pretty plants, but don't bloom long enough for me to justify their size and spread... I've pulled all mine out.

19/6/06 12:28 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

I googled Rose Campion and that's definitely what they are, though they're far more typical in southern climates apparently. Don't know why; they love my garden. Must be the poor soil! :) And the blooming season is really short, but at keast they fill the space. :)

19/6/06 7:06 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow- that second shot look so professional. It kind of reminds me of a tide commercial or something. You could submit that to some photgraphy contest or something and probably win, seriously.

19/6/06 7:36 a.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

Great shots, Andrea. You must have a good camera. :)
It's nice when the whole fam damily can get involved and excited about the same thing. You guys sound as if you do life well.

19/6/06 3:13 p.m.  
Blogger CeCe said...

I've got them too.. I like them, I thought they were planted on purpose in my garden?

19/6/06 5:05 p.m.  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

wow that is one powerful looking sport!
and well, the little flowers are powerful too in color! if they fill in the spots then, why not?

19/6/06 6:35 p.m.  
Blogger joyce said...

I love the bright t-shirt colors!

20/6/06 6:28 a.m.  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

So you do get sunlight in Canada! :-)

Looks like everyone is having lots of fun.

20/6/06 7:06 a.m.  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Jack's hoping he might get chance to watch some Aussie Rules whilst he's over there but it sounds like the season might be over.

I'm very envious that it's politics-free. That's the only part of the rugby that I've not enjoyed over the years.

Fab pics too xx

20/6/06 1:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home