Thursday, October 27, 2005

granville island pigeons


granville island pigeons

Here is the result of my latest experiment. It needs tweaking, but I suppose that's the whole idea of working in series. In my case, though, by the time I've finally nailed it the challenge is gone and I find that I have to move on rather than exploiting my hard-won knowledge.

As you can see, the polymer transfers I made from the photos I printed on paper (using an HP Colour Laserjet 3550 -- not mine!) worked really well. The paper just peeled right off after soaking, leaving the image embedded in the polymer. For a painting, the only actual painting I did was the background panels (two layers), and the doorway in the upper left-hand corner. The gimpy bikes, park benches and pigeons are "prints" (with paint) using hand-cut stencils and a brush. If you visit Flickr you'll see the original digitally-manipulated photos from which I made the polymer transfers.

4 Comments:

Blogger andy said...

If that was "just" an experiment, then I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the series :-)

27/10/05 1:50 p.m.  
Blogger carla said...

That's very nice! I love what you've done here...the colors and the blocks of design remind me of some of your paintings, but there's a whole different vibe...urban, modern. This is a very promising direction. I hope you're going to continue playing with it.

27/10/05 5:07 p.m.  
Blogger Anonymous said...

I like this composition very much. Also enjoy the vibrancy :)

27/10/05 7:25 p.m.  
Blogger giles said...

Lovely piece, really nice! Love the strong shapes and colours.

1/11/05 2:56 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home