Thursday, July 09, 2009

finding my way back

I promised myself that I wouldn't make another blog post until I actually had some ARTwork to post. It's been a long time coming -- almost two months actually -- but I am finally re-entering 'the creative zone'. It's a lot harder than it looks! Like a pianist who hasn't tickled the ivories for weeks on end I knew the first day would end in frustration and fatigue, but I was ready for it. My first drawing, done yesterday, is now proudly framed by the blue walls of the recycle bin.

After my disaster the snail mail arrived and, serendipitously, a package from one of my favourite New England artists. John has a knack for choosing just the right thing at the right time and in the package were a paper-covered Moleskine sketchbook and a 000 Koh-I-Noor refillable technical ink pen. Such tiny, perfect lines! Working in a new medium was just the thing to get me 'looking' again -- and as all artists know, it's all about the looking. (Ain't nuthin' more impotent than lookin' good.)




Furthermore, another of my favourite New England artists recently returned home from the Grand Canyon with a treasure trove of photos from the inside walls of the Hopi House, which, knowing my passion for aboriginal designs and patterns, Michelle generously emailed me for my playtime hours. Some mini pen-and-ink sketches, scanned and digitally coloured, completed my first day back.


When I was going to bed last night I noticed this painting, which is hanging above my bed, and it occurred to me that I could further my tune-up process by using the underlying composition with some of the Hopi motifs. So, today, I took some of the Hopi animals and doodled some more in my new Moleskine, then scanned and coloured the sketch. A painting in its future? Unlikely.


I'm a long way from all the way back yet, but at least I've made a start!

14 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

Welcome back to the creative zone! Looks like you're having fun - keep going!

9/7/09 3:26 p.m.  
Blogger donna said...

Awesome! Good for you, and those drawings look great.

I'm taking a charcoal drawing class but don't like the teacher, and that's making it frustrating. She's way too critical. But weirdly criticized those of us who had some skills and not those who really didn't, which made it even worse. I think she was trying to be nice to beginners but it just made it suck more for those of us with some skill who want to get better.

Pah.

9/7/09 3:54 p.m.  
Blogger carla said...

Looking good! I know it's scary getting back into the zone (which is why I'm still putting it off). Your drawings have great energy! The fish have a wonderful expression on their faces:)

9/7/09 4:32 p.m.  
Blogger Angela Wales Rockett said...

Woo hoo!

9/7/09 4:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you back again!

9/7/09 11:07 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I've been AWOL too and I'm not back yet either...

Love your doodles - more please!

10/7/09 12:17 a.m.  
Blogger Laure Ferlita said...

Welcome back! You've been missed and it will be fun to see what new works come from your new art toys!

10/7/09 4:42 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Barbara: I am -- but I do find restarting a cold engine a little problematic still.

Donna: People who teach -- you can see how they related to their peers as children. These things don't change a lot I find.

Carla: Thanks -- it's not great stuff yet -- but I had to prove that I was trying! :)

Angela, Laura, Caroline: Thanks!

Laure: For me, too! :)

10/7/09 1:08 p.m.  
Blogger Peyton said...

As ever, I love the imagery you work with and that feeling of prehistory in a contemorary style and setting.

11/7/09 2:50 a.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

what seems not great to you seems great to me and all your viewers :)

11/7/09 10:49 a.m.  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I'm with you...I just returned to the studio on Thursday - I think it had been 6 weeks since I had actually touched clay. I took baby steps and even regressed a bit because it's just what I needed.

11/7/09 11:41 a.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Don't know how I missed this post. Oh, yeah! Busy with art stuff, that's how!
All of us who work in the right hemisphere(read:correct?)understand this.You'll regain your momentum.

11/7/09 4:00 p.m.  
Blogger ArtPropelled said...

I've enjoyed your foray back into the creative zone. It can be so hard, as you mentioned. I find fallow periods are usually sparked by boredom with what I'm creating or exhaustion from either too much creating or something else in my life that is very draining. Maybe that down time is absolutely necessary as long as it doesn't drag on for too long.

11/7/09 10:27 p.m.  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Looks like a good start to me!

13/7/09 7:18 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home