Saturday, September 27, 2008

because this is a picture blog

My dad had very little in his apartment worth saving, but I did pick up four or five small items. Top of my list was this ceramic dish, sort of half bowl/half plate that I've always liked. And isn't that the weirdest looking gourd? I found it at a farm market last weekend. The tomatoes are still coming out of my garden every day. For years I've thought the 'drought bed' at the front of the house would be good for tomatoes and this year finally planted three little plants. Well, they went wild, completely taking over, and have been providing us with these delectable little beauties for over a month now. Why did I wait so long?

It's been an interesting summer creatively. Before June I had used coloured pencils only rarely. Since then I've been using them almost exclusively. I've been looking for something appropriate in which to store them the past month or so and when Michelle was here she went over to Victoria. While there, she found this old, wooden silverware box for $5 at a junk shop. I ripped out the old, grungy lining and relined it with black flannel, making the dividers from bits of cardboard box covered in more flannel. The hinges look art deco and now I must go to Lee Valley and see if they have any nifty cabinet hardware for a clasp.

And speaking of Michelle, she wanted to play with coloured pencils, black paper, etc., while here and, being an equine artist, here's what she came up with:

Finally, here's a flounder wannabe courtesy of this bottom feeder:

13 Comments:

Blogger Mim said...

fabulous!

27/9/08 6:29 p.m.  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Being a bottom feeder myself, I loved the flounder.

"Glub Glub," he said, flapping his body and finding another sandy area to hide in.

28/9/08 7:50 a.m.  
Blogger Cynthia said...

My tomatoes are also going crazy - they are currently laden with many green tomatoes and are not ripening on the vine anymore. Our days are warm enough, but our nights have been averaging mid 40 degrees F. I have brought some in to ripen on the counter and was just reading that I could rip the whole plant out and hang them upside down in a dry place to ripen. I'm loathe to give in to fall though...

I might be a bottom feeder myself :)

Your friend's horse drawing is very expressive too.

28/9/08 8:34 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Michelle: Thanks -- but what? :)

WWWWWWWWWWW: Move over, that's *my* snail!

Cynthia: Our nights are getting nippier, too, sometimes less than 10C (50F) but since the plants are smack up against the house they are more sheltered so are still ripening, but there are lots and lots of green ones left that won't be making it, unless I try your suggestion. I'm wondering what a good dry place would be: inside or outside and in the light or can I put them in the garage?

28/9/08 8:41 a.m.  
Blogger Peyton said...

Synchronicity or what?! I was talking with a friend yesterday about flounders and I had no idea what one looked like! Now I do!

28/9/08 10:55 a.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

Your post title is the answer, but what's the question?

Fabulous!...I mean the re-made pencil container.

28/9/08 2:02 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

You are so lucky to have such a good tomato harvest!

That's a lovely bowl, an excellent pencil box, a wonderfully mad horse - its those red nostrils!, and a fabulously flat flounder.

28/9/08 2:06 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Peter: I think flounders usually have two eyes on one side of their heads, so maybe this guy is just ugly, though he does resemble a flounder.

Brian: Don't confuse me! :) Seriously, I'm rapidly thinking of a question, but the truth is that I was stuck for a title!

Caroline: Fabulously flat flounder -- now *that* should be the blog post's title!

28/9/08 2:33 p.m.  
Blogger Alda said...

Gorgeous - both the pictures and the box.

29/9/08 2:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very cool looking squash and I'd have nabbed the bowl, too. And that pencil drawer.

29/9/08 5:48 p.m.  
Blogger Ellen said...

You seem to have a bit of a white pencil fetish Ms. Pratt. Love that old box and that flounder is definitely a swan among the real flounders I've seen.

29/9/08 8:48 p.m.  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Andrea - I managed to find the article on tomatoes http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/25/helping-tomatoes-ripen/ - and it just says "dry sheltered area". Since I use my garage as a studio, I considered our little shed, but it's dry, sheltered and dark as night. I'm trying counter ripening first and then just may try making some fried green tomatoes for fun.

30/9/08 6:16 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Alda: The box still needs a little work but I'm pretty happy with the change.

Citizen: There were about 5 of the gourds that I wanted but this was my favourite.

Ellen: Not many flounders hav hot pink fins after all!

Cynthia: Thanks -- now I know what to do!

1/10/08 10:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home