Thursday, March 29, 2007

mask part 3

Finally -- the third instalment in the great work-in-progress. OK, disciplined I'm not. Parts one and two were over two weeks ago. I find myself doing the strangest activities at the strangest hours because I don't have to punch a time clock -- and I love that I have that kind of freedom -- but it's amazing how trivial activities can supercede more important ones, and just how quickly the higher-priority ones can get away from you. I still find myself racing to meet deadlines, in spite of the supposed control I have over my own time. I think there's an adrenaline addiction 'issue' with those of us who are chronic procrastinators.

This painting will be entitled Mask and there are three different types of masks illustrated here. I remember hating and fearing Hallowe'en masks as a kid, but I find myself drawn to them as an adult. The cafe where I get my morning coffee has some wonderfully colourful papier mache masks on the walls. I enjoy them every single day. Those of you who want to tell me to stop here -- I know, I know! I face this with every painting -- but there's one more major step to take that will completely transform the way it looks. It's a total bummer when this step is better than the final one, but it's all a crap shoot in this biz anyway.

The dog, cat and I have been stuck at home with a 12 year old and his raging virus this week. The gods smote him after I bragged to a friend last week that none of us had had even a sniffle in over a year. Something about the sins of the father (or mother) being visited on the child I guess. This is what Zulu thinks of it all:







14 Comments:

Blogger carla said...

I never cease to enjoy the way your paintings take form. This is looking good! I also like Zulu's mask:> I hope the sick one gets well soon...

29/3/07 4:44 p.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Ooh! I have a "thing" for masks.Kick myself often that I didn't get one made by the Master in Venice.
I suppose #2 son is a bit young for alcoholic medicine?

29/3/07 8:57 p.m.  
Blogger LDahl said...

Love Zulu! I want a kitty! It looks like he's laughing.
I always thought I would like to collect masks, but other than a couple of small ones I got from mexico... well I guess it isn't too late to start, but collecting art supplies is my thing now:)))
Hope everyone up your way is going to recover soon and all projects fly to the finish line.

29/3/07 10:42 p.m.  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Zulu looks very happy in that lovely sunshine. It really is a cat's life!

30/3/07 2:29 a.m.  
Blogger Cream said...

Lazy Zulu!
I can't stop yawning now!
What's the significance of the stag?

30/3/07 2:48 a.m.  
Blogger Merisi said...

May your little one get better soon!
I feel with you on the "adrenaline addiction 'issue'" (shall we call it AAI for short?). Remember Lucy and her chocolates? Pick pick pick pick poing poing pick. *rats*
Chained to work today and outside it's glorious spring (of course yesterday, with me having to run around town, it was grey as grey can be!).

30/3/07 2:55 a.m.  
Blogger Kian Edalat said...

thats a good mixture of forms and colors!

30/3/07 3:30 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Carla: Thanks. The Sick One is back at school today, poor guy.

Dinahmow: Yes, but his mother seems to be coming down with something...

Ldahl: Thanks and they will if I can just remove myself from this *!?$! computer!

Nomad: Ain't it the truth.

Cream: I wish you hadn't asked but give me enough time and I'll come up with something...

Merisi: Yes, there's definitely an upside to being perpetually late. :)

Kian: Are you saying it's finished? No! :)

30/3/07 9:57 a.m.  
Blogger Kian Edalat said...

If this is not finished then I'd like to see the finished one in your opinion!
by the way Picasso and matisse may adapted me! lol(were they gay?)

30/3/07 12:20 p.m.  
Blogger kj said...

hello andrea,
1. love the masks
2. love zulu
3. hope noone is still sick
4. you deserve every success
5. affectionately,

:)

30/3/07 8:34 p.m.  
Blogger ** Terramia ** said...

Wow, what talent!! (Local talent.. so proud!!)
Love your blog... I look forward to more divine creations!

30/3/07 11:25 p.m.  
Blogger andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

This whole series of photos are great - as seen on Flickr.

31/3/07 4:25 p.m.  
Blogger Bendtherulz said...

Am sure by now all well...just to say Hi and Zulu is so cute...reminds me of ME...I also yawn like this ( may be not that delicately...lol...)
Tkcare

3/4/07 7:06 a.m.  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

feel better soonly ms. andrea. we had that last week. grace is finally back at school. 4 days home!
(i wasbragging too how healthy she was...)
zulu is one cool kitty!

3/4/07 8:39 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home