Wednesday, March 14, 2007

painting #12 part 2


As you can see, I haven't gotten very far with #12. Yesterday I did some of the preliminary work to painting: lightly sketching the images that will be handpainted, in white conte, on the coloured ground. I started using conte for this purpose quite by accident and it was one of those brilliant discoveries that I continue to use consistently.
I also cut the stencils (acetate and x-acto knife) and laid down the painted stencil areas (stylized masks, arrowheads and a scarab) which are fewer in this painting than in most of the others in this series. I just attach the stencil to the canvas with a piece of masking tape and use a flat-ended brush (I prefer brights for most of my work) to brush in the image. Easy as dirt ~ and the inconsistencies add character (or so I tell myself).
Next: Painting the sketched-in images.
QUESTION: Are any of you familiar with PRINT GOCCO? If so, how do you like it: costs, flexibility, quality, etc?

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I can't wait to see them all together. Please tell me you have them all displayed on some kind of project wall in your studio or home...one with a single remaining unfilled spot just waiting for #12.

14/3/07 8:58 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Brian: Ha! The largest of these paintings is 48" x 48". There ain't no wall big enough... well, maybe at the Vancouver Art Gallery. :)

14/3/07 9:11 a.m.  
Blogger carla said...

Looking good! I love conte for sketching on a painting...it is such a better way than using pencil...so easy to rub away:> I read about the gocco printer quite some time ago, and it sounds really cool. Are you thinking of getting one?

14/3/07 9:27 a.m.  
Blogger Angela Wales Rockett said...

This is funny - I'd just been wondering what some of your working methods were. I was even going to ask you what type of brush you prefer. Thanks for sharing. :)

14/3/07 10:31 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Oh that looks interesting like that - I can see what fun your process might be to emulate!
(that doesn't of course mean copy :-)

14/3/07 11:39 a.m.  
Blogger Cream said...

Thanks for sharing. Never heard of Print Gocco!
Vancouver Art Gallery... Open Sesame...

14/3/07 11:56 a.m.  
Blogger Merisi said...

This is so fascinating to a non-artist like me. Thank you for sharing!
Sunny greetings from Vienna,
Merisi

15/3/07 2:47 a.m.  
Blogger Zig said...

hmmm don't know what conte is (except for Tom, didn't know what a print gocco was either - looks like a type of screen printer. But very interesting post!

15/3/07 5:21 a.m.  
Blogger PennyBlue said...

This is great! Can't wait to see the completion!

15/3/07 7:05 a.m.  
Blogger Barbara said...

That Print Gocco looks interesting - are you going to get one? I like your Bad Cat series and look forward to seeing more.

15/3/07 8:42 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Carla: If I had extra cash I'd be there in a second, but meantime I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about it. It's a great idea, isn't it?

Angela: Brights always brights. I need the control!

Caroline: Emulate, copy. Hell -- just lift it right off the page (though you wouldn't, of course).

Cream: I hadn't until yesterday either.

Merisi: It's trying to be sunny here... trying ...

Ziggi: Tom Conti! It took a few beats but I got it ...

Bluejude: I'd better get on it then.

Barbara: Ya wanna split one? :)

15/3/07 10:38 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the fact that you are showing your work in progress. My friend has a gocco printer. What do youwant to know? email me

17/3/07 9:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home