Tuesday, March 13, 2007

taxes, marketing, creativity

I believe creativity happens everywhere, not just in the arts. Marketing is definitely a prominent hook on which to hang the Creative Thinking hat (thanks for the metaphor, Brian), so to creatively market a creative product like, say, a painting results in a veritable explosion of creative juices (euw). Case in point: paintings by numbers. There's even a blog. If that's not brilliant, then I'll eat my bank card. Never mind, there's nothing there to eat anyway because I wasn't clever enough to think of this! And to prove it, I have my first ever appointment with a tax accountant on Friday. As if to make me feel better about this (not), I got the latest Washington Post's Mensa Invitational in my inbox a couple of days ago. To wit:

3. Intaxication: Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize it was your money to start with.

And, with any luck, the number-cruncher guy won't be an:

2. Ignoranus: A person who's both stupid and an asshole.

My fondest wish is that he's as creative at his job as the marketers of the number paintings are at theirs.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

The Painting by Numbers guy was freaking brilliant...though I'm not sure if running to the bank whilst laughing would make it more fun to continue painting numbers- forever.

I did get quite a chuckle out of Ignoranus-I'm going to have to use that one, thanks for the laugh.

13/3/07 4:42 p.m.  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

absolutely hilarious. thank you!

13/3/07 6:44 p.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I'm hoping to get intaxicated next week. And after I ask Joyce if buying a 52" Plasma TV is a good idea, I'll be wondering if something that large should really be forced into such small places. D'oh...ignoranus.

13/3/07 8:30 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Very funny... and if I'd thought of the number paintings I'd have marked most of them sold too... not just to create the look of a really exciting, everyone wants one product, but also so I didn't actually have to paint most of them!

14/3/07 2:40 a.m.  
Blogger Cream said...

I had to look and look again... Then I realised the M was really an N...
Funny!

14/3/07 3:13 a.m.  
Blogger Mei Shile said...

Mensa? Are you a Mensan? I use to be on a commitee which organised Mensarts 99, the last Canadian Mensa gathering of the millenium in Quebec City. As commitee, we thought the arts would be the best theme for people speaking different languages.

14/3/07 9:36 a.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh my...I wish I had thought of this paint by numbers thing...who knew?! I mean uuummm wow. Now I have to go think of something brilliant and SALE-able! Sheesh! Pressure. Thanks for coming by my blog, I really appreciate it!

14/3/07 4:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home