Sunday, March 25, 2007

thinking (and funny) bloggers

Considering I've had my nose to the grindstone for weeks now and haven't had time/headspace for any reflective thoughts -- and therefore posts -- I was quite surprised to check out one of my own favourite places for insight and perspective, Bibi's Beat, and discover she'd given me a Thinking Blogger's Award. My immediate reaction was that there had been some mistake, followed by the normal run of suspicion, blame, and, ultimately, acceptance. (Just kidding, Vicki ~ and who paid you..?) Since I'd pretty much run out of gas over here anyway, I was just thrilled to have something to write about. Thanks for that, too, Vicki.
But which five of my regular blog reads would I choose? In my current narrowly-focused way I've mostly only been reading art blogs for the past couple of months, and though they're endlessly fascinating for me, don't really fit the criteria. So after scrolling through my blogroll I decided to change the rules a bit and choose blogs (a) that I've been reading for awhile (staying power!) and (b) are where I go for a bit of a laugh. It's been written that a good sense of humour is a by-product of intelligence. I'm not saying that all intelligent people have a sense of humour (if only...); I am saying that all funny people are intelligent, and there is usually more than a thread of something deeper underlying their humorous reflections on the world.
Of course funny people can also be very complex (read: self-centred bastards) so sometimes they quit reading my blog. You know who you are. But I forgive you anyway. I give you:

1. Kyknoord of The Other Side Of The Mountain ~ One of the first blogs I ever read, I have been a loyal admirer of the razor-sharp wit of Kyknoord for almost two years. He writes about his personal life in a way in which Shakespeare would approve: tragedy and comedy seamlessly intertwined. He also keeps his picture of himself to himself. I'm guessing that this guy, from his Flickr site, is him. (And this is how I get you back for getting a digital SLR before me, you cad.)

2. Cherrypie of Dipping My Toes Back In the Water ~ Take a single mum who is a practitioner of the noble legal profession, add a major dose of self-deprecation and hilarious commentary on pop culture, and you get the most readable blog north of London. (Not only that, her legs have an uncanny resemblance to those of Sienna Miller.)



3. Belinda at Ninja Poodles ~ Belinda has that rare ability to combine mask-off honesty and lack of pretentiousness with an intelligence and wit that deserves a little crowing about now and then -- but she never does. It's completely charming. Not only that, she's a Southern Baptist who votes Democrat, appreciates real art and drinks her tea hot. I love that.

4. Chitty at Riding the Slipstream ~ What is it about Africa anyway? And why do many of my favourite blogs come from South African men? (You, too, Nomad.) (My secret obsession with Africa started when I was 10 years old and bedridden with a severely-broken leg, reading Born Free books -- but I digress.) Like Kyknoord, I have been reading Chitty's blog for a long time now. I love his hilariously no-holds-barred accounts of the life of the single(ish) guy on the urban corporate ladder: no punches pulled, no weak spots unprobed.

5. Finally, an actual art blog. I must admit that I've been irregular about reading Bad Art I Am Compelled to Share lately because, in spite of his blog's title, The Unknown is lousy at sharing -- and since I'm a self-centred so-and-so then I'm no good unless I'm getting direct stimulation myself -- but I always enjoy my visits to his blog. He cuts to the heart of the matter faster than a speeding bullet, and when not commenting on the state of American and world politics, there's a gentle humour about his art and writing that is impossible to resist.
The Thinking Blogger Award Rules
If you were named above and choose to carry this meme forward, remember to tag only those bloggers who stimulate your cortex … or something like that. Please make sure you pass the rules to the blogs you are tagging.
If, and only if, you have been tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think.
Link to the original post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme. http://www.thethinkingblog.com/2007/02/thinking-blogger-awards_11.html
Optional: Proudly display your 'Thinking Blogger Award' with a link to the post that you wrote (here is an alternative silver version if gold doesn't fit your blog).

15 Comments:

Blogger Bibi said...

Glad to put a smile on your face and provide you with new content! But the award is well-deserved Andrea, and I'm always amazed at how prolific you are. So stop being so modest and ENJOY! ;-)

25/3/07 1:02 p.m.  
Blogger The Unknown said...

How kind of you! Thanks Love. :-)
love

25/3/07 2:51 p.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Well done, indeed.Thoroughly deserving, as I read it.
(PS Even with my seriously "flaring" monitor your new website looks very good. I hope to get proper colour today.)

25/3/07 3:29 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the award, Andrea. I can only hope that I can do it justice. My posts are tongue-in-cheek and I aim to poke fun at things most people take seriously. If it makes them think, that is an added bonus.

26/3/07 3:27 a.m.  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

Oh my word! What an honour! Immediately below Kyknoord. I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be.

Thankyou, Andrea x

26/3/07 6:40 a.m.  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Thank you for coming to call and please visit again. Congratulations on your award, especially since I got one, too.
Anyway, I like your blog and shall be back.

Ian

26/3/07 3:07 p.m.  
Blogger CS said...

Congratulations - it's well-deserevd I think. I'll check out those you listed. Also, I like the new layout.

26/3/07 4:09 p.m.  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

I'm flattered, and yes, GUILTY! Because I saw your email earlier today with the subject line, "tagged," and since I wasn't ready to blog right then, I figured I'd put it off until later to read when I was ready to write, thinking it was just a regular ol' garden-variety meme.

It's hard to believe I can get someone else to think, when I can hardly make myself do it. No, really. I mean, I've put down "The Emporer of Ocean Park" at least 3 times this week to watch "Ninja Warrior" on TV instead. 'Cause I's SMART LIKE THAT.

At least I know good art. ;-)

Actually, on that note, I would be interested in your favorite *art* blogs, if you can do that without listing 100 of them or leaving too many people out! I'm interested in, "If you like the art of Andrea Pratt, then you'd probably appreciate the art of ___________."

26/3/07 5:27 p.m.  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

Oh, Lord, I spelled "emperor" wrong just now. I'M A THINKING BLOGGER!

*ahem*

26/3/07 5:28 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How dare you accuse me of thinking! My brain will be mortified if it ever finds out.
P.S. Congrats
P.P.S. Thanks ;-)

26/3/07 11:02 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Oh oh several new blogs for me to check out now - just when I was trying to cut down too...

27/3/07 1:05 a.m.  
Blogger Ces Adorio said...

Congratulations Andrea, well deserved...and I am chuckling at Cherry Pie's comment :-)

27/3/07 3:42 a.m.  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Congratulations. When do we get to see the statue of you in Rodin's thinker pose?

30/3/07 2:28 a.m.  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

I think that they are right.
Cogito ergo blogito!
I think therefore I blog.

31/3/07 10:35 a.m.  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Well, this is a hoot.

First, I definitely agree that you, dear Andrea, are among the Blogworld's foremost thinkers and witty contributors...

And we haven't even talked about your art.

I have the pleasure of having read Kyknoord for quite some time (and yes, I'm convinced that IS his picture), and remember most his Date Kyknoord contest, which had the entire Blogging World's single female contingent (and maybe some unsingles too) competing for his attentions.

Cherrypie, well she is a legend, and you couldn't have described her better. A rapier wit with beauty and an ability to laugh at herself and her situation, she is unsurpassed for intelligence combined with humour.

And now I know how you get her to comment on your blog...you nominate her for awards (SLAP!)

The others, I will only hope to journey to and meet. This was fun. Thanks so much.

31/3/07 4:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home