Friday, January 26, 2007

illustration friday: red

impossible vacation 5

This is one of those paintings that doesn't reproduce well, but it's definitely red.

After a flurry of blogging, which was easy to do while I got the rest of my post-holiday life settled again, I am once again painting so I guess I've run out of words and only have pictures in my head. It can't last. I did, however, make a discovery of the visual arts and music variety last night: CBC TV's programme, Opening Night. Pop over and check out the clip of actor Chas Lawther's humorous foray into the world of art. Update: It's been removed now for next week's preview.

One little gem of wisdom during Lawther's half-hour segment came from the art expert he interviewed. He declares that people don't buy art like they used to because of a fear of looking stupid. I can see it. Whenever I walk into a Granville Rise white-wall gallery I want to hide in the corner rather than have to talk to one of the gallerists, regarding the very anti-haute-couture outer me (and very carefully crafted to achieve that look, I might add hee hee) over their Chanel specs. Come to think of it, once they catch a glimpse of me they don't want to talk to me either, so it's a nice little system.

Next week, Elvis Costello, Holly Cole and Jim Cuddy are in the line-up, so I'll be back. Guess I'll have to catch up with Grey's Anatomy in summer reruns...

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't think we have anything like that on the box here. There are a couple of chaps who could do it, but when the stations are mostly stabled by Packer, Murdoch...well, you know what comes from stables!

26/1/07 12:01 p.m.  
Blogger Teri said...

Wow, my eyes are going in circles. Great job!

26/1/07 12:48 p.m.  
Blogger Ces Adorio said...

Wow! This is so unlike your other paintings. I love it. I wish I could enlarge it and see the details. Wow!

26/1/07 3:08 p.m.  
Blogger Hellcat said...

Your painting is pure fiery fury! MWAHAHHAHHHAAAAA

26/1/07 6:03 p.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

This is different but still I see your signature style in this! Beautiful! I knew you would pot something great for Red!

26/1/07 6:11 p.m.  
Blogger studio lolo said...

Wow! I wish I had half the energy of this painting!

26/1/07 10:05 p.m.  
Blogger Twisselman said...

I'm crossing my eyes to see the 3D image hiding in there. Now I'm too buzzed to go to bed.

26/1/07 10:52 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Looks like one of those test your colour blindness tests - I see red - is that okay?

It also looks like you've gone Eschereque and have made lots of birds swarm through it transforming as they go.

Fun!

And all this IF redness reminds me that I once did an analysis of all the paintings in an open exhibition to see what the ones that had sold had in common.

Most had a small, not overwhelming, splash of red at their focal point.

27/1/07 2:19 a.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Blogger made me, Dinah, annonymous!

27/1/07 2:30 a.m.  
Blogger franhilz said...

at first sight - I saw a flock of crows on fall fields... this piece is simply great!

27/1/07 6:57 a.m.  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I like your new painting too, I was also disappointed when I clicked on it and tried to enlarge. I'm overdue for an eye exam and am starting to need larger print!

I hear you on the carefully crafted un-coutour.

27/1/07 7:16 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Sorry about putting the not-so-subliminal advertising in when you click the photo. It's just that the enlarged version isn't much bigger and is not very good quality, so I did the next best thing. :) This painting is actually 2 1/2 years old so I didn't have a great quality image of it. (And sorry, Dinah -- I guess Blogger did that to your original comment after I finally switched from Old Blogger to New Blogger.)

27/1/07 8:09 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

htwow...i love this red thang of yours.
your etsy art arrived today. i LOVE it. i also love the angel fish you stuck in there.

27/1/07 8:45 a.m.  
Blogger Bibi said...

That matches a Pollock any day of the week ... and you know how much they sell for! ;-)

27/1/07 9:17 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home