Friday, January 12, 2007

five things


Bloom

It required several hours of persuasion, but I finally managed to wrestle this one to the floor. It's a biggie: 36" x 36".

I have given up on memes -- mostly because I promise to do them and never follow through. But when I was tagged by Leonie to do the 'five things you may not know about me' meme, I decided to do it anyway. I've already given up almost all the obscure things worth sharing (or not) in previous meme posts but managed to come up with a few more.

1. When I was 16 or 17 I won second prize in the Dental Health Month logo contest put on by the Canadian Dental Association. My logo had a beaver in it: Canada + teeth = beaver.

2. We received an embossed letter from the bank today because we have almost paid off the debt we accrued 10 years ago when we took out a huge RRSP loan so we could get enough of a tax return to finally pay off the house downpayment money we'd borrowed a couple of years earlier (anyone familiar with Canada's tax laws actually understands this). This is what the letter said (loosely translated): Congratulations. You have just funnelled so many thousands of dollars into our coffers over the past decade that we can hardly wait to see if you're suckers enough to do it again. Still, it feels good: like the day I made the final payment on my student loan. I was 35.

3. I discovered I was nearsighted at a Harlem Globetrotters game when I was 14; I couldn't read the score. (Have I shared this one already?)

4. As a child I had two major fears. It wasn't injections, jumping off the rocks into the ocean on Eagle Island* or snarling Rottweilers. Those were a walk in the park compared to dolls. I think it was their dead, staring eyes. The other was also dead-person-related: skeletons. There was a Time-Life book on the shelves of the school library called Early Man with a human skull on the front. I avoided that section of the library like the plague. And the Sinbad movies with the sword-fighting skeletons on Saturday afternoon B-movie TV my brothers loved? Never.

5. Today's my birthday.

*Too weird. I just googled Eagle Island to see if I could find anything about this little island where my best friend lived when I was growing up, and where I spent so many days and nights. What did I find? The very house I spent all that time in, not to mention the rocks I so cavalierly leaped off, now madly renovated from the cottage it was, for sale. Check it out here.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well happy b/day to you! Hope it's a good one. I do like Bloom, especially the red area in the lower half which brings great colour balance to the work.

12/1/07 2:36 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Happy Birthday Andrea!

I have sent you something but I doubt its had time to get there yet...

Wow you've gone public on your birthdate!

12/1/07 3:20 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I got so distracted I forgot to say that this picture is magnificent!

Those colours are wonderful too.

Very sunset ones... gorgeous.

Really brilliant

Stunning

Fabulous

Beautiful

12/1/07 3:22 p.m.  
Blogger carla said...

Happy Birthday, Andrea! You are most certainly blooming and blossoming as time goes on...this painting is stunning! I love the progression from dark to light. It's hopeful, like the promise of spring.

12/1/07 3:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!

12/1/07 4:08 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, and, many more!

12/1/07 4:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the new painting. i love the little fish. another brilliant piece of work.

happy birthday, grrrl!!

and thanks alot for the indelible image of a toothy beaver that's invading my imagination now. thanks ... i'll pay you back!

12/1/07 4:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, thanks for taking the time to do this. i love the painting, it's fabulous.

i hope you have the most wonderful of birthdays.

12/1/07 5:37 p.m.  
Blogger Ces Adorio said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDREA!!!

12/1/07 6:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mentioned that your special day was "sometime about now" and Cece slipped a greeting on the previous post.So I came back to add my voice on that page ___WOW! another cracker, Andrea.
Very warm wishes and congratulations on both counts.
(word verification is my former Welsh neighbour!)

12/1/07 7:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give you vision of number four for happy birthday MWAHAHAHAHAA ....

12/1/07 8:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I did check it out.Why don't you buy that and I'll buy that place down the road from me and we'll go back and forth, according to the weather? I see only a few snags...the zeros on the end of the price!
Beautiful place;I must return some day...

13/1/07 2:13 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome painting done by an awesome artist.

happy belated birthday!!!

hope your day was great.

13/1/07 6:39 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks for the birthday greetings and kind words, all. (Blackdaisies: I did it that way to see if anyone was paying attention! :)

13/1/07 9:23 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great birthday Andrea.

13/1/07 1:32 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this piece !!! Happy belated !

13/1/07 3:53 p.m.  
Blogger kj said...

happy birthday to my friend.

i love this piece, andrea!

13/1/07 9:50 p.m.  
Blogger Merisi said...

Belated Happy Birthday
from spring-like Vienna
where winter's AWOL,
Merisi
P.S.: Love that house you linked to, less the price. ;-)

14/1/07 3:24 a.m.  
Blogger tlchang said...

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you treated yourself well and sumptuously. And that you are finding things to do despite the snow (ar-ar - the city folks pay more taxes! Seattle-proper never gets as much snow as we do either).

I love this painting. I think it is one of my favorites of yours.

14/1/07 12:22 p.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

Happy belated Birthday Andrea! Fun post and the house on the island is so cool!

14/1/07 2:40 p.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

I can't believe I forgot to mention how much I love this painting! Gorgeous! Well worth the struggle!

14/1/07 2:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful work -- and happy belated birthday!!!

23/1/07 7:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home