Thursday, January 11, 2007

art chez nous


We're having a real Canadian winter the likes of which we haven't seen since the early '80s. But what do you do when you're stuck inside for days on end? I have no practice at this. But when I looked out the back window today I was thankful to live in a place where there are seasons.

I've been struggling with a painting that I started well over a month ago and then abandoned to tackle the seasonal ho-ho-ho. It's hard getting back into the rhythm and my brain hurts after two days of wrestling with an uncooperative muse. So ... what should I blog about? Well, art of course, silly, but not mine; I can't stand to look at it when it's not going well. So, since I'm here, how about the original art we have hanging in this house that has nothing at all to do with me?

I have a thing for primitive art and the work of our own Northwest Coast First Nations People (whew -- did I manage to get the terminology politically correct?) is among my favourite. (Actually, calling it 'primitive' is probably insulting enough.)
But my mother was born and raised in Mexico and any Mexican folk art, from Pre-Columbian to present day, also turns my crank. (I love African and Australian aboriginal art as well -- anyone care to make a tax-free donation to my collection?) I permanently borrowed these parchment paintings from my parents' house when I left home.



These ones came from my grandparents' house, the ones who lived in Mexico and Guatemala. They aren't folk art but are sepia drawings of the pyramids at Tikal.

But we do have something closer to home. In my studio, above my desk hangs a Robert Genn landscape, a gift to me by the artist for doing a bunch of work for him a few years ago. It's there for inspiration.

Best of all are my own investments: small paintings done by Roland J. Ford and Angela Rockett hanging in my bedroom. I have every intention of making it big by selling paintings for great wads o' cash one day just so I can buy me some more art. Any philanthropists who'd rather just donate valuable and beautiful pieces directly please apply here.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I had 4 proper seasons here! No snow, but I,too, have some pretty pictures to look at.Including a Haida painted tile I bought in Horseshoe Bay.Thanks for the "Gallery Floor Talk," Andrea

11/1/07 10:11 p.m.  
Blogger CeCe said...

Wow, your house is SOOO pretty! It's a "west coast" style house that looks like it's art itself!

11/1/07 10:14 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your postman hasn't disappeared under a snow drift! If he hasn't brung you anything by Monday, let me know!

11/1/07 10:20 p.m.  
Blogger justin said...

Wow, your house and art gallery look fabulous, Andrea. What a lovely setting to live and to work in.

11/1/07 11:38 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, the only item I have that qualifies is an Andrea Pratt original. (PS kyknoord here. Something's up the pike with Blogger comments. Again.)

12/1/07 12:00 a.m.  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

We're stuck at home too but at this point we're still loving it. There is something so calming about the snow, like it puts a mute on the whole world. Well, no one can put a mute on Magoo but everything else is very still and quiet.

12/1/07 1:17 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I'd consider primitive a compliment!

It was only last year wasn't it that you were laughing at me for imagining that you'd be thick with snow... ;-)

12/1/07 2:04 a.m.  
Blogger Ces Adorio said...

This may be easy for me to say but looking at that view from a beautiful place (I love the architecture of your house on the first photograph), would be a treat! Andrea, you are such a classy woman living in a classy place, surrounded by classy things.

12/1/07 4:53 a.m.  
Blogger kj said...

what a treat this post is!

may i move in with you, andrea? maybe just for a month or two? i would be willing to make coffee in the morning and coax your muse to behave. in exchange i will have a view that reminds me how connected i am with the world. what a great room you have there, girl.

i LOVED seeing your art. it inspired me to want to do the same.(in other words, i'm a copycat). maybe dianahmow might do a home tour also.

no snow yet in new england. and i'm not complaining.

12/1/07 5:39 a.m.  
Blogger Ces Adorio said...

Hey, it is predicted it may rain/snow in the south this weekened or next week. It will be 24 degrees. Hmn, I wonder how the heck will I be able to move, maybe my bones will crumble.

12/1/07 7:43 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice scene. It's about time you guys got some of the good stuff. And it will probably last just about the right amount of time for you. In MB we get it for just a bit too long.
I'm sitting alone in my classroom today. No students. All classes in the division were cancelled today due to extreme windchill: -48. OUCH...it hurts to breath outdoors.

12/1/07 8:32 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Andrea! We're having quite the winter ourselves this year. As a native Californian, I'm still enjoying the novelty of it all, and I am so grateful to live in this wild beauty.

As for your muse, she'll come around. Mine is finally speaking to me again after all the holiday chaos. She's really just whispering, with her back to me, but I noticed she has turned ever so slightly back in my direction.

12/1/07 9:07 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Blackdaisies: Maybe I should call it a meme!

Dinahmow: Horseshoe Bay! My childhood stomping grounds. I ate my first solid food at Troll's restaurant. (And so far the postman has made it here every day -- I'll keep my eyes open!)

CeCe: Actually, we live in a cookie-cutter '60s house like every other one in this neighbourhood *except* we have a fantastic addition on the back. It was this room and view that made me fall in love with the house, in spite of the fact that the garden and lawns were a disaster and the hpouse needed some serious cosmetic work.

Justin: We've been thinking of moving -- quite seriously -- but I would so miss my back view.

Kyk: Hang on to it -- it'll be worth MILLIONS one day.

Daring One: I love the sun on the snow! It's so bright here when January is usually so gloomy.

Caroline: I guess I'll have to eat my words. But hey! I know that you occasionally have hard winters on your fair isle, too. And even with this weather, it hasn't dipped below -6C, so we're still wimps! :)

Ces: You kind woman. As for the house, it's just that room, not the whole house ... unfortunately. That's more than enough for me though! PS You didn't crack when you lived in NJ but you *were* younger... :)

Brian: Holy doodle -- I've never experienced weather colder than -15C, even on a ski mounatin in Rossland! You are my hero.

Angela: I've been training. TODAY I wrestle her to the ground and put her in a headlock until she cries "uncle!"

12/1/07 9:50 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't have "Seasons" in Florida, just sometimes cooler weather:o)

I like the artwork, my dad has a huge collection of American Indian artifatcs (mostly arrowheads that he himself found) and a number of paintings. I really like that era of pictures. One of the painters, Dean Quigley, is known for his artwork taking place in actual areas. Very cool. My artwork tends to range from scenery to aniamls.

Happy Birthday!! (I found that out from CeCe)

12/1/07 1:20 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're having a proper Colorado winter too! With every passing snow storm I am less enthusiastic. I should really try to be happy since the east coast is warm and lacking snow right now.

Love the gallery tour and your back windows.

I have a lot of my own work up, but a few times a year, I purchase something, and take one of my pieces down. One of my favorite paintings is one given to me by a college professor with whom I interned. It will always have a special place in my house.

12/1/07 4:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home