Thursday, July 20, 2006

socket

Last Saturday I was painting in my studio and listening to CBC Radio 1 when a visual arts programme I'd never heard came on. It immediately appealed to my sense of humour as artists often take themselves way too seriously. As a closet cynic from an early age, I never made any lasting friendships at art school because the focus on developing an outre personality/image and the seriousness with which everything was analysed made me feel totally bogus as an artist. I was an outsider even amongst outsiders. (Don't tell my mother that her worst fears about me are all true.) But I was always glad that I could, at least, appreciate the flip side.

And speaking of flip sides, artist Angela Antle produces and hosts the summer show Socket, a cheeky half hour of national radio devoted to visual artists. (And to prove just how small the visual arts 'press' is in Canada, she reads this blog.) My favourite profile was of Vancouver artist Jessica Bushey, who has spent years photographing feet, and anything else that attracts her attention, in public washrooms. This week looks even better. I won't even tell you what this photo is all about; you'll have to listen for yourself. It's on Wednesdays and Saturdays, June 28th-Sept 2nd: Wednesdays at 11:30 am/12:00 Nfld and Saturdays right after the 4:00 pm news/4:30 Nfld. You don't need to be in Canada if you go here.

PS If you can stand another helping of me, visit Carla's Anonyrrie for more. She did a flawless job. (And if you can't -- me neither.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm going to try to check that show out. Thanks. I'll probably like it.

21/7/06 8:05 a.m.  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

I love your sense of humor, the description of art school life and being an outsider among outsiders (I can relate!). I'm looking forward to listening to the program--I followed your links and saw that I can listen on Saturday afternoons. It was great seeing your work and the story about you and your painting process on Carla's site. She's a great writer and did a wonderful job.

21/7/06 8:11 a.m.  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Hey, Andrea, that's a great piece on you by Carla!

Your works are, indeed, beautiful and striking and full of life. Glad you're getting recognition.

Gotta check out CBC Radio1 this weekend and head over to Small Art too...

21/7/06 9:02 a.m.  
Blogger joyce said...

I love the "feet in bathroom" theme. Love you, Andrea

22/7/06 9:42 a.m.  
Blogger Bibi said...

Andrea, this was really interesting. Most people like to label others since it makes them more comfortable if they can slot someone into a box. I'm always interested in the other side of people ... it gives them colour.

22/7/06 7:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home