Monday, July 17, 2006

edge...

...as in 'water's edge,' not 'edge of reason.' This one, at 36" x 36", is slightly smaller than the first three. I decided to take a couple of photos of this process as well, though it must be getting pretty old by now.

The first image shows the underpainting, the stencilled images (sand dollars, seashells and kayaks), the stamped images (the wave blocks on the lefthand side) and the conte outlines for the images that still need to be painted by hand.

The water gun on the sofa is not part of the imagery.

In the second photo I have painted in all the conte-ed images, added patterning (small waves and spirals) and started the background (around the kayaks).

The water gun has been sent on a dangerous mission.
This may look finished, but I have yet to make a few minor changes, specifically in the coloured panels around the kayaks. Strangely enough, this series is getting harder and harder to paint. There's something about a new idea that can make the work just fly off the paintbrush, but I found the process far more laborious in the last two, repainting areas more often than I'm comfortable with and fretting over anything even slightly frettable.

The water gun has, by this time, gone to that great artillery store in the sky, having been bested in a tough fight, and abandoned to the back patio.

edge

14 Comments:

Blogger kyknoord said...

That blue circle on the white puts me in mind of a big eye staring out.

17/7/06 8:41 a.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

nice process, beautiful painting!!! I was a little sad to see the orange go but I see it in those lines!!!

17/7/06 9:50 a.m.  
Blogger Barbara said...

Fear not - I don't think I could ever get tired of getting a sneak peek into your process. Keep up the vibrant work!

17/7/06 12:28 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

WOW!! Beautiful, great to see how you layer your colors and your thought process.

17/7/06 12:58 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks for the positive feedback but doesn't anyone have any sympathy for the water gun?????

17/7/06 1:53 p.m.  
Blogger denise said...

Ha! I love your humour, and yes I was actually moved to post to convey my condolences to the water gun. Thank you for sharing your art, it is so beautiful and it is always interesting to see the process!

17/7/06 5:01 p.m.  
Blogger carla said...

Andrea - I always enjoy reading about and seeing your process! I did see this one on your website the other day...stunning!

17/7/06 5:14 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Absolutely glorious!

18/7/06 3:04 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Andrea
don't know what you fret about because to me it is awesome. And I also enjoy seeing the process.

18/7/06 5:59 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your step by step posts so much! I'm totally curious how you stamp though. Do you carve out your won, is the paint dry or do you emboss it into wet paint. As you say, "curious minds want to know", lol.
This piece looks fantastic and I LOVE the water image with the boats.
Really fantastic!
a.

18/7/06 6:49 a.m.  
Blogger Grammy said...

I love the tendency among creative people that leads them to share their work with others. It's like the joy we had as children with show and tell. It's kind of a shame that so many poeple outgrow it. I am thankful for my friends who continue to share and be interested in what I'm trying to do as well. My husband is getting used to being greeted in the evening by a voice from above, "Hi, Honey. Come up to the sewing room and see what I created today."

18/7/06 1:42 p.m.  
Blogger Catalina said...

very interesting! thanks for sharing the process!

20/7/06 12:24 a.m.  
Blogger Gabrielle said...

Wow this is beautiful, it reminds me of a quilt

20/7/06 8:45 a.m.  
Blogger tiffini elektra x said...

Your process is so incredible. Gorgeous layers of colors!!

26/7/06 8:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home