Tuesday, July 11, 2006

ruxton island

Number two son and I boarded a ferry from the mainland last week to spend an idyllic weekend on Ruxton Island via Nanaimo. My very good friend, Sharon, has recently abandoned me to the local suburban hausfraus (I've taken to hiding in my basement) to take on a new job in the promised land, taking her husband and four little boys with her. The bitch. Adam is good friends with her eldest so we had to go and see for ourselves why they felt compelled to leave us behind.

One of the reasons is their ramshackle (but most charming) cabin above a small inlet on Ruxton Island, just a half hour's boat ride across from their new home on Vancouver Island. The location is amazing and there are hours of things for small boys to do there on the beach and in the woods. Adam was pretty peeved when it was time to leave.


We discovered a nest of baby birds in the middle of a dead evergreen bush near the ground. Does anybody know what these babies are? Their parents have a very distinctive call, as evidenced by their scoldings as we inspected their private digs.

It was pretty hard to return to civilization. But at least I have these.

13 Comments:

Blogger albina said...

Wish I was there -- love the purple starfish!!!

11/7/06 10:41 p.m.  
Blogger Melanie said...

how dreamlike, the that looks like a treehouse out of a story book... what fun! :)
Melanie

11/7/06 10:59 p.m.  
Blogger kyknoord said...

That's just MEAN! Some of us have tiny, grey lives that just got smaller and duller. If you need me, I'll be sulking over here.

12/7/06 12:34 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

you would post something like this! Now i know I have to scrimp and save to go to conference next year on Vancouver Island. and if I make it I better be able to meet up with you. (grin)

12/7/06 5:23 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhh, Vancouver: one of my favorite places on earth! I grew up in Calgary and we'd vacation in your environs every summer. I had my first nanaimo bars in none other than Nanaimo, went crab fishing in Sydney and someday, I want to backpack the West Coast Trail. You truly live in paradise!!

12/7/06 6:37 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh I'd love to be there.

12/7/06 7:17 a.m.  
Blogger Catalina said...

Yes! lovely place, specially for sea kayaking I can imagine (I loved to do that around the Gulf Islands)
beautiful pictures!

12/7/06 7:21 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful location and a really cute cabin. I thought Ruxton was next to Gabriola Island - how do you get to it? There is no ferry going there.

12/7/06 12:53 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Caty: there are sea kayakers in the Flickr group (click on the first link in the text), and Brian: I probably wasn't clear. Ferry to Nanaimo then you need your own boat to get across -- like that little aluminum boat of my friends' in the photo of the view.

12/7/06 1:03 p.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Wow...heaven, what a glorious place.

12/7/06 3:14 p.m.  
Blogger CeCe said...

That looks like a really nice place. I live on Vancouver Island, and I've never visited Ruxton.

12/7/06 9:13 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...Beautiful ! :)

16/7/06 8:02 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi im DAMIAN RUXTON FROM IRELAND THE ISLAND LOOKS FAB LOVE TO VISIT SOME TIME

19/9/07 2:45 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home