Wednesday, June 28, 2006

kaya

It's been a little over a year since I started this blog and today I met another blogger for the very first time. I've read about get-togethers on other blogs and even talked on the phone or Skype to Toni and Andy, but it wasn't until recently that I knew of any local bloggers. (It's a little weird when your virtual world meets your actual world; I loved it.)
Enter Kaya Murray and her husband, Kevin. They live in Kitsilano (a fantastic location if you happen to like the beach, proximity to downtown, neighbourhood character and great places to eat) and have a life devoted to each other and art. Does it get any better than that? Meeting them was great, but seeing Kaya's art up close and personal was almost as good. I've attached the paintings to which I was most attracted.

Kaya's art has a surreal, organic quality that appeals to something primal in me, and she has a talent for figurative work. The eyes are haunting. This painting, of her great-uncles who were killed in the Holocaust, has been on my mind ever since.

Kaya has two blogs: the journal on her website and this one. Take a peek.




9 Comments:

Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

WOW on many accounts.
First, it's great to meet fellow bloggers face to face. And second, her art is astonishing.
I'll have to follow her work.
Third, Andrea, you are a real true soul. You display an evidence of a beautiful, sound, and savoury spirit, which many people are inspired by. I think that my family and yours would have a great time together.
When I say this, I say it sincerely...keep up the GREAT blogging. Once again...you are a beautiful soul.

28/6/06 7:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrea, meeting a blogger friend is definitely blog-worthy. Thanks for sharing the experience and her art with us.

I hope we can meet up some day. The move back to the West Coast is slated for fall, so at least it's concievable!

28/6/06 11:46 p.m.  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

Sound like a you had a truly wonderful experience.
I've not met any of the locak bloggers, but hope to do so one day.

29/6/06 4:23 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful writing, Andrea, I am truly touched. And I have to agree with Brian the Mennonite, you sure are a beautiful soul. I knew before we met that you would be cool, and it was such a pleasure meeting you in person. Thanks for coming into my life.

29/6/06 10:24 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Brian: You have such amazing insight! :) Seriously, though, you are a sweetheart to say such kind things. I hope I can live up to them. (One of these days I'll post in the midst of wicked PMS and you'll have to take back all your words! :)

Teri: Looking forward to your moving-west exploits. Head directly west before you head south, though!

Chitty: You should try. It was definitely a worthwhile experience for me.

Kaya: ANd thank you, too. That's very sweet. I had a suspicion that we'd be on the same page. Hope today's op went well...

29/6/06 5:26 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just got back from a meet up with some Erie bloggers and i find your post. How awesome is that. Isn't it great to meet a local blogger. Her work is very emotional.
Awesome work!

Talking on the phone with a blogger is great also ;-)
Have a good evening Andrea. Now I need to get back to working on wedding stuff.

29/6/06 7:35 p.m.  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

i love her work and think that she has one great collection on line!
and yes andrea, you are a beautiful soul!

29/6/06 8:41 p.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

It's so nice that you both got to connect! I love Kaya's work and blog and it's so cool you got to meet!!!

29/6/06 9:37 p.m.  
Blogger carla said...

I love Kaya's work! The first painting I saw was her Life of Pi painting, and it really amazed me. Your description of her work is right on... how wonderful that you two were able to meet! I just posted on Toni's blog about how good it is for me to have blogging friends, especially since I've met very few people I seem to mesh with since I moved here three years ago. I would love so much to be able to meet you and some others someday...I am determined to make it out to the west coast one of these days, and then...

30/6/06 4:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home