Tuesday, February 21, 2006

collaboration

My boys have a mother who paints on everything that's not moving, but I think it's actually stunting their creative growth. We have spiders on the laundry room cupboards, a dog on the bathroom wall and geckos climbing up the ensuite, my interpretations of their creature creations on their bedroom walls, even a beetle painted over the outlet cover for the built-in vacuum system. Fortunately I'm discreet enough to keep these beasts small. So when they produce paintable sculpture, I just can't resist. #2 son made this tiger with some of that air-drying lightweight modelling material when he was 10 (isn't it fantastic?). Then last weekend #1 son came home from a friend's house with this creepy nameplate, made from spray insulating foam. He wanted it garish so I complied.

The thing is, they'll never learn how to paint while I'm still faster than them.


footnote: I find lots of interesting things to read over at we move to canada, especially since it's a highly interactive blog and isn't that what defines blogging? So if you've ever wondered what the key difference between Canadians and Americans is, the culture-defining crux of the biscuit, it's all here.

11 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Do you take the brush out of their hands?

If not, just be glad they produce more things for you to paint!

And yes Adam's tiger is incredible and Carl's creepy nameplate very creepy. Be a proud mother, you've got a right to be.

21/2/06 11:18 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

these are simply wonderful! Be happy your boys will do projects with you. Like Caroline said be proud. ;)

21/2/06 1:28 p.m.  
Blogger bingo and betty said...

... most very very excellent, kinda neat to see creative and colour!

21/2/06 8:16 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

These are sooo cute and beautiful!! Love it!

21/2/06 8:55 p.m.  
Blogger kyknoord said...

Wow, that nameplate is truly psychedelic.

21/2/06 9:41 p.m.  
Blogger AscenderRisesAbove said...

Loving the color on that name plate!! Talk about vibrantly done (yep - I am pretty sure it is a word)

21/2/06 10:57 p.m.  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

Your boys are lucky. My mother used to encourage with a well-stuck wack upside the head.. NOT paint on household surfaces.

22/2/06 3:44 a.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I'd like to see the little art treasures painted all over your house. Perhaps you could post a series of those pictures some day...the spiders on the laundry room cupboards in particular. Sounds like a lot of fun.

22/2/06 8:45 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Caroline: Not only that, i threaten to cut it off if they try such foolishness again! :)

Toni: TOO proud is more like it.

B&B and Alina: merci beaucoup

Kyknoord and Ascender: I kinda wish I'd chosen acid yellow and neon pink now.

Chitty: And I'm sure you deserved it! :)

Brian: Oh no! You're giving me *ideas* now...

22/2/06 11:26 a.m.  
Blogger joyce said...

Man, would I like to see the details around the house. I've always wished I could paint/draw in such a fashion. post pics.

23/2/06 7:30 p.m.  
Blogger laura k said...

thanks for the link :)

25/2/06 8:15 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home