Friday, February 17, 2006

the sacroiliac blues

The following is a cautionary tale for you pig-headed morons out there who, like me, think they can defy nature through sheer force of will. Mother nature always wins because she's always right. I can guarantee that she will take her marbles and go home if you insult her intelligence one time too many.

I want a pelvic and/or right hip transplant. I'm convinced now that mine's abnormal. Years of being a couch potato, or at the very least someone who ignored my hyperactive need for exercise more often than not, concealed my dirty little secret, even from me. My first indication that something was wrong was a pain-in-the-butt (and eventually down my right leg) that started while training for my second half marathon a couple of years ago. By then it was too late for me: I was addicted to the endorphins and obsessed with improving my time so I 'worked through it' and ran two more half marathons. Anyone who has (a) suffered from piriformis syndrome or (b) a modicum of good sense knows that that was the worst thing I could've done. It pretty much ended my dream of ever doing a full marathon or probably even another half marathon. You'd think I'd learn after that, but I still run -- or at least I did up until Christmas when I tore something in my right knee and was laid off for ~6 weeks. By the time I was ready to go again I was so proud of myself for taking it easy, but really missing my regular injection of endorphins so was definitely chomping at the bit. Then two weeks ago I felt this pain in my right hip (oh hell -- give me an entire right leg transplant as well). In my infinite wisdom I decided that I needed to 'cross train' as the pounding might not be good for my hip! Everything I tried hurt. I thought about Brian, and since swimming is considered the mosty therapeutic of exercise got into the pool a week ago. Unfortunately it still hurt, but one stroke hurt less than the others so I did about 10,000 lengths of that.

That was it. I have been in pain ever since, it strikes when it bloody well feels like, even in bed, and I'm kicking myself (but making sure I use my left foot) for being such a fool. I'm living from one anti-inflammatory to the next. Last night I was immobile. I saw my GP yesterday but he was on holiday so the locum, after diagnosing sacroiliac joint syndrome told me to keep up the anti-inflammatories and quit being such an idiot. I give it a week. If I don't improve I'll be on his doorstep again, demanding amputation.

See you at the 2008 Paralympics. I'll be the one with no legs or arms.










Soggy race a: the finish of the Scotiabank Vancouver Half Marathon
Soggy race b: the finish of the Royal Victoria Half Marathon

9 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

We all do it... I ruined my achilles tendons by "running through the pain"... gaining self-awareness of one's body's needs is a hard road.

Wish you well and in less pain soon!

17/2/06 10:22 a.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I immediately want to tell you that SOMETHING must work for you that doesn't involve pain...but that would be silly. Listen to the GP. Take MORE time off and then perhaps later, MUCH later you can start knitting or crocheting. My grandma used to do it before she died...she was really good at it. :)

17/2/06 3:22 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Caroline: Phew! Glad I'm not alone.

Brian: Aha! I can spot a kindred moron from 20 paces! :) However, counselling me to knit or crochet is only going to get the wool wrapped tightly around your neck...

17/2/06 3:37 p.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I'm laughing...and laughing...and laughing...

17/2/06 3:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left a comment earlier, and now I see that it has evaporated into thin air. I'm sorry for your pain and misery, but couldn't help but laugh at the telling of your tale! I hope you recover soon, and, for goodness sake, take it easy!!!

18/2/06 11:40 a.m.  
Blogger The Unknown said...

Good Lord. Take care of yourself.
love

19/2/06 4:36 p.m.  
Blogger Mick said...

I know the endorphin high well...I was a long distance runner with Olympic aspirations in the 1960's. Fortunately for me, I hated every single step of it and, when the time came, twas easy to give it all up - including the runners high. 40 years later all of the same parts you're having trouble with are failing me anyway. A wicked game, this entropy thing!

21/2/06 4:51 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure how I stumbled across your blog but oh how this resonates for me!! Hope you're healing, but trust me....if you don't heed now you'll be kicked double time later (yes, this is a "hard way" lesson on my part). Pain is NOT your friend! Wishing you a speedy recovery and happy days ahead!

23/2/06 9:23 p.m.  
Blogger Janet said...

I know exactly how you feel! I have the same thing, and this week has been BAD!...and you can't check on all of your favorite blogs for more than a few minutes at a time, or else you get the fiery spear in your butt, or worse...can't get back out of the chair!

25/2/06 9:25 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home