Wednesday, February 08, 2006

stats & maps

I love stats. At 5:10 a.m. PST my 10,000th visitor (from Reston, Virginia via the Best of Blogs site) cruised through. I put Site Meter on my blog in July and it's been a source of ongoing fascination ever since. Extricate the cat from the dryer? Stop #2 son from using the roof as a bike ramp? Wait! Let me just check my stats first...

I also love maps. That well-worn stereotype of the woman always asking for directions and the man refusing to ask is lost on me. I feel completely confident when I have a map, whereas if I ask for directions it invariably becomes "Turn left at the next street and blah blah blah blah 'til you blah blah blah blah..." I guess I'm what you'd classify as a 'visual learner.' Less than a month ago I added a ClustrMap to my sidebar and it has definitely usurped Site Meter as the most interesting thing about my blog. I get such a kick out of seeing, visually, where visitors originate that I changed my blogroll title to 'From the Four Corners'. From Iceland in the north to Sydney in the south, Alaska in the west to Japan in the east, it doesn't get any better than this.

If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.
~ Paul Beatty

8 Comments:

Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I noticed that the biggest of those red dots was over Southern Manitoba. Hmmmm...

I am forever saying to Joyce, "Now there's someone on from..." Loads of fun if you ask me.

8/2/06 11:32 a.m.  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one obsessed with this. I'll have to check out the map thing. The stat meter is totally addictive. It just makes the world seem smaller.

8/2/06 1:28 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I rarely look at mine but it is fun to sometimes. I do value the sheer spread of visitors it amazes me! I'd like to know how many of them are robots though - do you have any idea how to tell?

8/2/06 1:36 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Brian: With Brian comes a large community so never, ever mess with him!

Daring One: I agree about the size of the world. You live in Seattle which, in global terms, means I have to step aside when I turn around for fear of elbowing you.

Caroline: WHA!?! You've just pricked a pin in my balloon. I thought every single hit was someone who was drawn here by my unmistakable wit and charm. :(

8/2/06 2:58 p.m.  
Blogger Mick said...

I love maps too, very intrigueing this. By the by, C-O-N-G-R-A-T-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S on the BoB Award. :D

9/2/06 8:18 a.m.  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

I've long thought of adding a clustr map but just not got round to it. Odd really, when I love maps, flags and stuff. So, after reading this post, I got myself one. It's definitely a brilliant way of visualising where the readers come from. A few weeks ago, I installed neocounter because of the flags put up for visitors - I love watching the list getting bigger and bigger. The only downside to it is that once the trial period is over, you need to pay for it. But, at $5 or whatever, that's hardly going to bust the bank.

10/2/06 10:21 a.m.  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh said...

ohh fascinating indeed. i have been seeing these maps around but never really had the time to have one for myself. now thanks for the reminder hee.. now im making one too.

12/2/06 12:26 p.m.  
Blogger The Unknown said...

I like the maps but because I have only a hand-me-down pc it takes forever to lode.
Blah... that drives me nutty... well, nuttier than usual.
love

19/2/06 4:51 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home