Friday, February 10, 2006

thursday challenge and friday lecture: tree


I'm a day late for the Thursday Challenge. Sometimes I get the reminders, sometimes I don't and this week was an I don't week.

Recently I've been made aware by friends in both Europe and North America that they think Canada's west coast is as much a white wasteland in winter as many parts of the rest of Canada (e.g. Churchill, Iqaluit, the top of Mt. Logan). Shame on you people! Especially if you live farther south on the west coast! If you have a rudimentary understanding of major ocean currents, you'll know that the north Pacific coast is a completely different ball of ice from the north Atlantic coast. Most people know that Seattle is rainy but many don't make the connection that Vancouver is in the same climatic region ... and only two hours north. As for you Brits, if you want to leave home without really leaving home, come here. Our climate is almost identical, except we tend to have sunnier summers.

I love you anyway, even if you're all ignorant gits. :)

What is also interesting about living here is that there are climatic zones (sub zones? I failed meteorology) within this zone. The trees on Vancouver Island, for example, are quite different from those on the mainland, because of the much drier climate. Victoria is worth visiting for the oak and arbutus trees alone. I am completely in love with arbutus trees and often paint them. Saltspring Island is in the same zone and that's where I took these photos of arbutus trees on an August weekend two and a half years ago. This was pre-digital camera, pre-Photoshop. Ah yes -- it was a much simpler time...


PS We've had but one brief sprinkling of snow this winter so nyah nyah nyah.

16 Comments:

Blogger Calvin said...

Love the last pic, great color and lines. Are those reeds?

10/2/06 11:10 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Calvin: That bottom photo is peeling bark -- one of the reasons I love arbutus trees.

10/2/06 11:29 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Truly beautiful bark and other tree pictures.

I better get out an atlas.... my excuse is I had to give up geography (and history) when I was 13... timetabling at school meant a choice between sciences and humanities...

mind you I have had some time since then to catch up in...

10/2/06 1:53 p.m.  
Blogger Celena said...

So funny! We're ALL getting all up and pissy about this! (I wrote about it not too long ago too!)

10/2/06 11:00 p.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I knew I saw that first picture somewhere before...that's your Saltspring Glade painting at the Main Street gallery isn't it?
Beautiful...

10/2/06 11:36 p.m.  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

"...rudimentary understanding of major ocean currents...?" They teach these things in Canadian schools? Well, I AM an ignorant git! I thought you'd all be getting threatened by hungry seals by this time of year. ;-)

BTW, let us go forward with the painting, shall we? If it doesn't work in the one room, I have another lined up for it.

11/2/06 4:24 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Caroline: That's no excuse! :) Easy for me to say as I read atlases for fun.

Celena: Must seek out your post now...

Brian: You have, once again, an amazing eye. That one's my favourite arbutus painting.

Belinda: Well, maybe I've done my part in edumacatin' the world a bit on our little corner then. Don't want to overdo it or you'll all be flocking here like flies... :) Sounds good ~ I'll start looking for an appropriate box/crate again.

11/2/06 8:01 a.m.  
Blogger joyce said...

I love arbutus trees. I spent some time on Thetis Islands in the 80's and just fell in love with these remarkable trees.

11/2/06 9:54 a.m.  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Nyah nyah nyah????? Mwhahahahaha! We have all!!!!!! Snow, rain, heat, thunderstorms, minus 40, then plus 5 the next day. What a wonderful country we have!!!!!! And we even have earthquakes (3 in the last 15 years...) Not too bad HEH! ;o)

11/2/06 11:52 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You tell 'em! (But, as you say, don't tell too much or everyone will relocate!) Lovely photos. I love the top one especially.

11/2/06 2:18 p.m.  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh said...

wonderful pictures.. and thanks for the information about your lovely place.

btw, added you to my links of illustrators.

12/2/06 12:30 p.m.  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

The pale green of that bark reminds me of fever trees that you get in the Lowveld part of South Africa. They have ghostly pale green bark and contrast amazingly with the other vegetation. Really beautiful!

13/2/06 12:46 p.m.  
Blogger Gretel said...

Canada is a country I AM horribly ignorant of, even though a half sister emigrated there 25 years ago...but I am reading a few Canadian blogs now, so my knowledge is growing beyond 'Anne of Green Gables'...;0)

14/2/06 2:08 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea, I grew up around Seattle, and those arbutus trees look an awful lot like what we called madrone trees. I wonder if it is the same tree by a different name or a slightly different sub-species. I suppose I could google it.

19/2/06 2:57 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Hi Dan -- yes, it's the same tree. I believe Americans call it madrona and Canadians call it arbutus.

19/2/06 3:32 p.m.  
Blogger The Unknown said...

Almost makes me want to visit. I'm only 15 or so hours away. And thanks for loving us ignorant gits! :-)
love

19/2/06 4:44 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home