Friday, January 20, 2006

the business trip

Okay, so my brand of business trip is more like a holiday than business: no endlessly boring presentations and meetings, no holing up in dark hotel rooms to hammer out some drivel on my laptop, no boozing the night away because I'm too exhausted to do anything else. In this case I have to get on the ferry on a Wednesday morning, hang paintings on a Wednesday afternoon, then spend the next 24 hours sans famille but avec camera, prowling the streets of Victoria looking for photo ops and meeting old friends for coffee. Then, before heading home Thursday night, I get to spend three or four hours drinking wine and chatting up art enthusiasts in a beautiful gallery. Selling an actual painting is just icing on the cake. I can hardly wait for my 'business trip' next week!

I went to university in Victoria and let's face it, if you have to go somewhere in Canada in January, pray that it's Victoria. A couple of days ago I emailed a friend I've kept in touch with, in spite of both our nomadic ways, from my very first days at UVic, begging for a place to stay. Another friend from that time tells me a story of when we first knew Brian. He was the guru of the photography club and one day, while hanging out at the darkrooms, an earnest young woman we didn't know started asking some very pointed questions about our charismatic friend. Shelley says that I just levelled this jaded look at her and interjected, deadpan, "He's married." (He was, too, but I think it was me who scared her off.)

Brian and his family have just moved so I asked him for directions to their new abode. Here are his instructions:


14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish my business trips were like that!

20/1/06 10:36 p.m.  
Blogger carla said...

Hah...I just can't imagine you being that scary! Hey - best of luck at your show. from what I've seen here, you have an amazing collection of truly beautiful work.

21/1/06 6:43 a.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

Ahhh...there it is. I hope you manage it then.
A full day of camera, coffee and Victoria sounds like a fortnight's worth of holiday. Thinking about this makes me dream.

My word verification says: IWANNAGOTOO Not really. It sounds good though.

21/1/06 8:31 a.m.  
Blogger WCTs said...

LOL--Love his directions to his house!

Have a great time in Victoria...look forward to hearing about your trip!

21/1/06 11:55 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Very Douglas Adams type directions!

Enjoy your holiday, sorry, I mean business trip.... next week... though I expect I'll be writing that most days to you between now and then...

:-)

21/1/06 12:47 p.m.  
Blogger justin said...

Wow, what a fantastic site - gorgeous photos and art work, and a very funny commentary. I found you via Reluctant Nomad, who loves your site.

21/1/06 4:09 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Artnut: Yeah, yeah.

Carla: OK, I'm not that scary, except when my buttons have been pushed one time too many. This wasn't one of those.

Brian: Play hookey! You can meet the other Brian while we're there.

Lyn: I know you're a fan of this burg, and rightly so. I'd live there again in a heartbeat.

Caroline: You'd better! :)

Justin: You just said the magic words. My main goals in life are good images and funny text. I can die happy now.

21/1/06 7:17 p.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

Hi andrea! I hope you have a wonderful show and it sounds like a great time! enjoy yourself!!!

21/1/06 8:44 p.m.  
Blogger Cream said...

I like the photo! Just follow the milky way, turn right and you're there! Careful you don't take a wrong turn! Brainy Brian!

22/1/06 1:29 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Okay, here's todays:

Have a really brilliant business trip on Wednesday!

;-)

22/1/06 3:12 a.m.  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

I think Brian is my neighbour!!!
LOL... BC seems so nice to me. Hope some day I will go there... And you don't have 2 billions tons of snow!!!! (Just a friendly reminder)... Heh heh. Enjoy your life, trips, expos, friends, dear Andrea!

22/1/06 7:31 a.m.  
Blogger TheTart said...

Funny guy...your friend.

Does he say...take a left at the milky way, 2 stars past the big dipper near the earth's moon. If you got to jupiter you have gone too far.

LOL....we could not resist...the Fireman & I loved this post!

Smooch,
The Tart

22/1/06 2:03 p.m.  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Glad I recognized the font: JOKERMAN.
Hope you found your lodgings OK.

23/1/06 1:10 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you make it sound so fun. Can I come too? The weather here in Toronto is really getting on my nerves (and the locals say it's been unseasonably warm, ug.)

23/1/06 6:37 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home