Wednesday, January 18, 2006

electioneering

It's been interesting watching events play out over at the Best of Blogs website. I decided early on that I wasn't going to overdo the whoring for votes thing, not only for the BoB sake of dignity (me? ha!), but also because it's not a huge part of the final judging. I wasn't even going to put a BoB button on my blog sidebar BoB 'til today when it was pointed out that unless you read a few posts back, the casual observer would never even know I'm up for an award. I caved. But I BoB refuse to add VOTE FOR ME BECAUSE I'M A BLOG GODDESS, even if I really want to... BoB

Another reason for BoB my reticence is that here in British Columbia we're just about electioned out. On Monday we vote again, after only BoB 18 months, for our federal government. In the intervening period we have also voted provincially and at the municipal level. And let's BoB face it, if this recent federal campaign is any indication, electioneering brings out the worst in BoB people. I just looked through some of the comments on the BoB voting page today and the complaints seem unnecessary BoB to me, especially from people who haven't kept up with the info posts. The organizers and judges at BoB are volunteers, it's only the second year of the 'event', and they're dealing with new polling software. And if they BoB read this, I love you to death and I'll give you my first-born male child.

13 Comments:

Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

You need to drum up more support..you were in the lead not so long ago and now you're third.

18/1/06 10:16 a.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

Yesterday I asked the computer lab guy in the school if I could have 3 minutes of his class' time at the end of the period. With a big freaking smile on my face as I rubbed my hands together, I wrote the BoB address on the whitebord and gave all thirty students instructions on how to vote for YOU. You probably haven't a sudden jump in the tally as only one vote is allowed for the entire school division server. That just SUCKS. Sorry Andrea...I tried, and it was such a good idea too.

18/1/06 11:02 a.m.  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

I've decided to do it on your behalf. I hope it works! :-)

18/1/06 11:02 a.m.  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

Ahhhh....the subliminal plug. GENIUS!! This blog is awesome, too. I love it, and I love the art. I want to buy some. I am not kidding. Point me.

18/1/06 12:20 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Andrea - I'm glad to see that you haven't let BoB get on your mind or anything ;-)

And I like the picture too!

18/1/06 12:34 p.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

you are hilarious! i sure hope you win !!!

18/1/06 1:36 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Nomad: Thanks for the plug! I'm hoping it helps. I think there's more dignity in a second or third place finish, though, don't you? (she told herself)

Brian: Hilarious! You and our favourite nomad have just made my day. I hope you didn't let the kids read some of the content of the other blog categories, though... *eek*

Jim: Very clever indeed!

Belinda: What subliminal plug? *BoB* After a quick perusal of the new blogs section you get my vote -- not that you need it! My art website is very minimalistically linked on my sidebar. Isn't that tasteful of me? My email address is on the contacts page.

Caroline: *BoB* I'm not even *BoB* thinking about it *BoB* at all! *BoB*

Val: If I don't I'm pretty sure I've had the most fun anyway and that's what really matters, right? .... right?

18/1/06 2:24 p.m.  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

You are too funny. And a Canadian to boot. I think Canadians should win all BOB awards.

try this for an rss for my site.

http://daringyoungmom.blogspot.com/atom.xml

18/1/06 9:58 p.m.  
Blogger The Unknown said...

After reading this I feel like there is something I'm supposed to do. Hmm... What was I supposed to do? It's slipped my mind.
love

18/1/06 10:34 p.m.  
Blogger kyknoord said...

I'm going to have to start calling you the Rob Rob Robin, with all that BoB BoB BoBin' along.

18/1/06 11:08 p.m.  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

When I voted you were in 2nd place. I wanted to vote more than once, but got kicked off... haha.
I think I'll BoB you on my blog. Every little bit helps.

18/1/06 11:20 p.m.  
Blogger Catnapping said...

What do we call you when you win?

The Honorable Mayor Andrea! LOL

...remember. We knew you when.

love,
cat

19/1/06 2:09 a.m.  
Blogger Lee said...

I've put my x by your name, kitten. Well, you are marvellous, after all...

19/1/06 5:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home