Saturday, January 14, 2006

inspiration

Can inspiration be forced? I just took a(nother) look through the BoB best photo/art/poetry blogs section and I feel very humbled by the competition, figuring I need to pull one of those "I have something to write about and must do it now" types of posts out of my hat because they always turn out to be the best ones. But inspiration, like my new year's resolution, fails me utterly. It's like the paintings I'm trying to produce for this show. Last summer, when preparing for various things simultaneously, I couldn't seem to stop the ideas from coming. I couldn't get them out of me and onto canvas (or at least in note form for later exploitation) fast enough. In the fall it was words on my blog. Right now my greatest inspiration is to lie down and have a nap.

I think I need to play outside with my camera more as that always creates a flood of ideas. But (a) I can't take the time off right now because I should be painting and (b) speaking of floods, it's been raining for 27 days straight here on the wet coast (record: 28). It's a Catch-22 with no help at all from the weather gods.


So I might as well go back to checking out the voting stats at BoB (and if you haven't voted yet I will find you and treat you to the same kind of attention as the first guy in the above painting). I'm getting my butt kicked by four other blogs. My tendency to be a little OCD usually helps when I'm doing something creative; right now it has me sitting at my pc, compulsively surfing the same old sites. Won't someone please put me out of my misery?

13 Comments:

Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Dont't bother girl, your inspiration and creativity is still there... Just asleep a little bit. Must be the weather... Her we are having RAIN and all the snow is melting... Is it March yet?... MMMM. :o) OH and I voted for ya!

14/1/06 11:37 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

Perhaps you do need some more sleep - it is the hibernation time of year - and sleep is a great way to get inspiration.

Once when I had to write a paper on a short deadline I took the day working at home - I spent a few hours reviewing what had to go in - and then I had a snooze - about 90 mins is perfect! - then I woke up (which can take a while) and started writing. It was the best paper I did on telecomms (not a subject I was inspired by...) and it lead to me being invited onto the next year's conference panel!

So follow your intuition and nap.

14/1/06 12:56 p.m.  
Blogger Janet said...

The pressure to write something "great" definitely increases when you see all the amazing blogs you are up against. It's like going to a bar, feeling all confident you look cute, only to realize there are 9 girls there who are prettier than you.

Good luck with the awards and come visit again soon!:)

14/1/06 4:21 p.m.  
Blogger WCTs said...

Stay dry...it is really raining dogs & cats...they are floating right behind you.

Must run, am craving twinkies!

Love,
The Whippy Curly Tails in the Toasty South!

=^..^=

14/1/06 8:10 p.m.  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Take a couple of hours and go out in the rain with your camera! The same notion inspired a new series of work, "Man against Nature". It'll also help you sleep well. Hhehehe, Husband didn't like posing in a waterfall though };-}You also need a worse threat for non voters than looking like the cute guy with a lump on his head :)

14/1/06 11:35 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I'm sure the judges will be very pleased with the portraits you've done of them!

Tee Hee.... and please don't shoot!

15/1/06 1:11 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Merlinprincesse: As soon as I wrote the above, the rain stopped, the sun came out and it's still dry! Do you think I did it, rattling the chains of those neglectful weather gods? :)

Caroline: I had such a great sleep last night that I can take on the world today. As for the judges' portraits, shhhhh... We don't want them to actually *know*...

Janet: In an effort to stave off the restlessness I've been feeling I finally designed a banner for my blog. Not that it'll help, but it kept me out of the bars! :)

Lyn: Good one! And there's even a shower curtain there to keep off the worst of the wet!

Anonymous: Thaks for the great idea. He calls himself a real Canadian who can withstand the elements but let's just see how he fares with this one...

15/1/06 8:34 a.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I love the new banner - cheers the place up - or as was said of the rug in the Big Lebowski it "really ties the room together"!

15/1/06 1:51 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me, too. I like your bold, new banner!

15/1/06 4:36 p.m.  
Blogger Lily and Lucy White said...

Hold in there -- your Elusive muse will return.
Sacrificing of a firstborn usually helps, he-he-he, as well as generous amounts of very good scotch in my tea. Do not abandon your creative practice, even if it’s wrong, do something -- you will see or doodle something or dream something up and it will click. Lily.

17/1/06 8:41 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks for the banner feedback. I had fun doing it and will have even more fun when I put Scotch in my tea. :)

17/1/06 11:10 a.m.  
Blogger WCTs said...

Happy Birthday to you too! My big day was this Tuesday. How about you?

Love your self portrait!

Take care.

18/1/06 5:31 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Lyn: last Thursday. Thanks.

18/1/06 7:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home