Monday, January 09, 2006

best of blogs



This morning I discovered that not only had Kyknoord, friend and blogger par excellence, nominated me for a Best of Blogs awards in the best art/photography/poetry section, but that I'd actually made the 10 finalists from the 80 nominations. Wow. I'm dumbfounded. This time last year I didn't even know what a blog was. After a quick browse I can see that the competition is pretty stiff. My Topography has a huge fanbase (I'm one) so I'm thrilled that I got this far. Now I wish I'd gotten off me arse and done more with my banner/layout. Thank you, Kyknoord; any suggestions on how best to bribe the judges?

This drawing is the latest of the mini landscapes for the upcoming four-person landscape show in Victoria at Main Street Gallery. In two weeks I will have produced 5 or 6 paintings in various sizes (12" x 12" up to 24" x 24") and 10 of these small drawings. I'm trying to stick to a local winter scenes theme. I've done three paintings and five drawings, so I'm halfway there. Inspiration is sporadic, results even less predictable, so I'll be pacing the floor up till the last minute. I always was a last-minute crammer for exams.

13 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Brilliant that you've been nominated for best of blogs! I hope you win - I've just looked through them all (quickly) and yours is head and shoulders over them all... well I think so!

Love this picture - glad you are half-way there - hope you let yourself get on with the rest without too much struggle.

9/1/06 10:46 a.m.  
Blogger jsdaughter said...

Congratulations on your nomination and being named a finalist! I found your blog through blogspot and have enjoyed it..

9/1/06 11:04 a.m.  
Blogger andy said...

Yay!!! Way to go, girl!! :-)

9/1/06 12:33 p.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I certainly am not surprised. You offer so much more than just good art. You offer us excellent snapshots of your life which we all can relate to in one way or another. You're still my favourite.

9/1/06 2:00 p.m.  
Blogger andy said...

Btw, I'm curious about something... The colours in some of your paintings shown on the Main Street Gallery site are noticeably different to those on your own site (for example, Miles of Solitude). Are either of them closer to the original or is that different again? Come to think of it, that's a rather meaningless question, as monitor calibration, your end and mine, throws two more variables into the equation. Ah well, I just wish I could come and see them for real :-)

9/1/06 2:06 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Thank you my loyal friends! :)

Andy: The colours on my own site are as true to the original as I could make them. The images on the Main Street Gallery site were shot by their photographer and I couldn't convince them to use mine, in spite of shadows on the images, etc! The site is about 6 months out of ate as well. They have paintings (and have sold paintings) that are not there, and some that you see are no longer there.

9/1/06 2:23 p.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

that is so cool andrea! I am glad that he chose you!!! i think that is quite special

9/1/06 4:21 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on the nomination.
that is really cool.
Now i need to go and check it out. ;)

9/1/06 5:05 p.m.  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

Wow! Congrats on the nomination, Andrea. Now how do I go about casting my vote for you?

10/1/06 11:18 a.m.  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Congratulations! How clever of kyknoord to nominate you. I must see how I vote for you now.

10/1/06 1:20 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

I'm not sure how the whole voting process works, but there's a place at thebestofblogs.com (click on link in post) where you can leave comments right now. I'm getting my butt kicked in the comments dept! :(

10/1/06 5:02 p.m.  
Blogger christina said...

Andrea--here I am thinking YOUR site has a huge fan base (and I am one!) Your art constantly inspires me--as do you--every time I come here. I'll be voting for you, my dear.

11/1/06 4:32 p.m.  
Blogger Mick said...

Hmmmm, found BoB very difficult to navigate. F'rinstance, I didn't find any comments specifically pointed at you. Of course, dumb bell that I am, I prob'ly dinna look in the right place! Either way, congrats, of course, on the nomination.
As for this drawing, I love it, as I do all of the drawings in this series. They're simply wonderful! Further congratulations on the group show (get back to work!).
:)

12/1/06 6:43 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home