Thursday, January 19, 2006

thoughts on product design

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~ Scott Adams

And without creativity, where would our world of product design, and therefore commerce, be today? Here are some new additions to that world:
Table in a box
An artist is a dreamer consenting to dream of the actual world.
~ George Santayana


Muslim Barbie
Good design begins with honesty, asks tough questions, comes from collaboration and from trusting your intuition.
~ Freeman Thomas


Cleanliness is next to Godliness
The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.
~ Aristotle


Cooking in the sink
The secret of all effective originality in advertising is not the creation of new and tricky words and pictures, but one of putting familiar words and pictures into new relationships.
~ Leo Burnett


Post-apocalyptic fashion
Great designers seldom make great advertising men, because they get overcome by the beauty of the picture - and forget that merchandise must be sold.
~James Randolph Adams

5 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

How have I ever lived without the table in a box! I mean I may consent to dream of the actual world occasionally but now... without this table in my life it will be an empty and souless dream life...

especialy without the boiling sink too - that would just be so useful - I could boil Jim's socks until they fitted me perfectly and claim I'd handwashed them!

I scrub up okay so no need to get cross about not having that brush...

And the other one looks like it ought to help with the gardening but would probably end up destroying everything in sight...

tee hee... thanks for the silly links Andrea!

19/1/06 10:44 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

You can thank Rudy for these links. I just impose my own spin (and quotations, in this case) on them!

19/1/06 11:22 a.m.  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

You certainly do come up with the most interesting gadgets. Your ability to find all of these trinkets makes me think that you are much like Joyce in her ability to find gems in any thrift store. But tell me this...have you ever found a treasure in a dumpster?

19/1/06 8:10 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

I found a treasure in a dumpster in Germany once. Greg said not to touch, but I did anyway and he almost bit me. Lesson: never pet feral dogs who are foraging for meals.

19/1/06 8:32 p.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

i enjoy all of these quotes so much!( in my best mae west voice) "i love a good quote, honey"

20/1/06 11:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home