Wednesday, September 21, 2005

the kite painter

Even though I was thinking that yesterday's post was crap, I have to quit pulling the ones I don't like. Second-guessing myself is a bad lifetime habit.

I was doing a little file management tonight and came across this simple little gouache painting I did a few years ago. I was having some struggles with an art director at Teacher Created Materials at the time I painted it, as I wanted to do all the illustrations for a teacher resource book I had co-written with two colleagues and she was putting up all these barriers, though I was persistent enough that she eventually agreed to do it my way. But when I sent her this illustration for the cover she informed me that she "had made arrangements with another artist already." Bummer.


I discovered, when the book was published, that the cover art was done by none other than the art director herself!


6 Comments:

Blogger kyknoord said...

Hmmm... now that's a serious case of nepotism.

22/9/05 5:58 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Kyknoord: Ha! Nepotism at its most "personal"! :)

Andy: I think the problem with the posts I want to pull is that I'm either revealing chinks in the armour or trying to bolster my ego, both of which make me feel uncomfortable eventually. I think the previous one was a little of both, in its indiect way. And then, when I get litle or no response, it convinces me I was just being self-indulgent. Not being a writer, I've never had to think of these things before. They must be part of the daily struggle of non-objective writing.

22/9/05 7:22 a.m.  
Blogger carla said...

Andrea...I really liked your post yesterday, but I felt I had to read it again and formulate a response...which I can't do now because I'm at work. Just a quick reaction...you write beautifully and you give such voice to your thoughts. I'll be back...

22/9/05 9:01 a.m.  
Blogger christina said...

I like your kite illustration a thousand times better than the other one--and would have, even if I didn't know the story behind it. Your's is very design oriented, simple lines, graphically pleasing. The other is kind of annoyingly cutsie.

And as to having sucky posts and wanting to pull them. I TOTALLY know what you mean. I made a rule, I never pull a post once I've hit publish--unless it's to edit a mistake I catch later...

22/9/05 2:49 p.m.  
Blogger WCTs said...

Your art is much much better!

All posts are interesting...love to check in here each day. =^..^=

22/9/05 5:11 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Carla, Christina and Lyn: thanks. I thought mine was better, too, but then I'm somewhat biased. :) Not that anyone ever saw the two to compare them except the art director.

23/9/05 9:33 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home