Sunday, September 18, 2005

escape


escape

I had more trouble with this week's Illustration Friday drawing. The subject matter came easily to me but the execution was a new idea that will require further exploration. That said, I'm indebted to this whole group blogging concept (Illustration Friday, Photo Friday, etc.) as it has made me want to draw again. I can hardly wait now to sit down with my block of black paper (I'm using Strathmore "Artagain" 400 series) and drawing tools.

As autumn seemed to arrive all of a sudden on Friday, it seemed natural to try and connect the two (the theme and the changeover of seasons). Since I've been drawing/painting seeds and seed pods lately, what is a more natural choice at this time of year than seeds escaping from the security of their pods? I used several different plants to illustrate my idea: poppies, nigella, acacia, and something unidentified.

While we're on the theme of "escape", on Friday I gritted my teeth and performed the uncomfortable task of picking up my fish paintings from the gallery that didn't sell a single one. There's no question in my mind now that the neighbourhood (old retired money, established, highly conservative) is definitely not a match for my work. In an effort to stave off the inevitable depression I expected from bringing all these paintings home again, I had a brainstorm. I had to pick up a few art supplies on Granville Island, and Autumn Brook Gallery is on the way, so I whipped in behind the building and popped in to see the owner. The huge and beautiful space is not selling enough paintings and it's overloaded with artists, so he has decided to exploit its "event space" potential, which is considerable I should think. While he was telling me this I was thinking, "Okay -- so it wasn't such a good idea." But since I was there anyway, I asked him to step into the alley and see what I had in the back of my truck. He took four of them. I talked to him again yesterday and he says that there is a decorator in Antigua who he thinks will be really interested in buying a couple, and can he act as middle man for a fee? Of course! There's always hope.

3 Comments:

Blogger carla said...

Oh...this one is exquisite! It has so many details and texture; it almost reminds me of driftwood that has been eaten away to look like lace. I really love your very unique, "signature" style. And isn't that fabulous that Rob took four paintings and has a possible buyer!!! I love those serendipitous things that start on a whim and end up very well. That's really wonderful news. I would think that your work would appeal to a hipper and perhaps younger audience than the one you described in the neighborhood of the old gallery. Good luck, Andrea...and keep on drawing. These recent pieces are splendid.

18/9/05 10:33 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Thank you again, Carla! The funny thing about doing these drawings is that it feels suspiciously like doodling in the margins of my notebooks... Obviously, it wasn't the complete waste of time all those authority figures thought it was!

18/9/05 1:56 p.m.  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

Way to go, Andrea. Good luck with selling the rest of the fish paintings. With every ending comes a new beginning!

19/9/05 12:44 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home