Wednesday, September 07, 2005

south molton street 07-09-05

I'm forever indebted to the blogosphere for introducing me to Andy (I've linked his name to his Flickr site as he has more great photos there). Today he went on a Mission of Nostalgia for me and took these photos on his way home from work. Once upon a time I worked in the yellow shop you see on the left of the photo. The street you are looking down is South Molton Street, just off Oxford Street near the Bond Street tube station in London. Foto Inn now sports the clever name Snappy Snaps, and is still a one-hour photo lab, spitting distance from the Hog In The Pound pub.

The Hog hasn't changed much over the years, though it looks slicker and grander than I remember. I bent many an elbow at this watering hole and spent many a minute crying in the Ladies.

Looking back towards Oxford Street you can see how central South Molton Street is, just around the corner from the huge HMV shop (is it still there, Andy?) and a stone's throw from the Selfridge where I once had a second piercing "performed" in my left ear.

Thank you for the trip down memory lane, Andy.

7 Comments:

Blogger WCTs said...

Great post...fun to read about your memories! Love the ear piercing tidbit <: -)

7/9/05 8:57 p.m.  
Blogger ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

Snappy Snaps... and that narrows it right down, dont you think?
"it looks slicker and grander than I remember" Perhaps the next sentence offers an explanation? :)

8/9/05 6:30 a.m.  
Blogger carla said...

Andrea,

It must be great to have a friend to take pictures of your old stomping grounds. It's amazing to see both how much some places change over time and/or how little they change. I lived in St. Thomas, USVI for a few years when I was in my early 20's. About 6 years ago, my dear friend Marty (who I met there in 1978!) flew from CA and met me in St. T for a reunion of sorts...we were dismayed at how much things had changed. I hadn't been there in about 20 years!

I love your photo of the chestnut with the insect. The spines of its outer shell and the drops of water ae so clear... I feel like I could touch it! We used to collect bags and bags of chestnuts when we were children...for what, I don't know. They were just fun to have.

Hope all's going well with you. I want to apologize for my rant the other day...I was in a mood and your post hit a sore spot at the time. I'd say more, but I'm in the middle of a work day and it's time for class.

Take care,
Carla

8/9/05 9:00 a.m.  
Blogger andy said...

Yup, HMV is still there, and has taken few bob of mine over the years. In fact, you can just see the sign in the distance in that last shot.

PS Sorry the Hog's falling over, one day I'll learn to hold the camera straight. I didn't go in, honest (*hic*...)

8/9/05 1:34 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Lyn: I stopped at two in one ear, one in the other and have no other piercings ... that I'm aware of! :)

Chitty: Ah yes, it was a place of high melodrama. I'll leave it at that!

Carla: It gets better ... as I recall. Sometimes the transitions are harder than we expect. You have every right to do what you need to do to help ease back into it. I hope you're starting to enjoy the students and material.

Andy: I have a vivid memory of all the women in South Molton Street disappearing one day because Paul Young (was that his name?), the heartthrob of the month, was going to be stopping in at HMV to sign some autographs, sing a song, etc. It wasn't Elvis Costello so I stayed away.

8/9/05 5:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just happened on this site by accident and was amazed to read this story. I also used to work at Foto Inn back in the early 90's. Malcom was the manager and Ali the owner. I worked there for 3 years (mostly in the Weighhouse St lab) before returning to Australia in '94. I was actually back in London for the first time in 12 years recently and did my own trip down memory lane. I popped my head in the door but there were no familiar faces.

10/11/06 8:37 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Hi Dave. What a weird coincidence. I worked there in the mid-'80s. Your comment reminds me that there was an Australian who was hired before I left (obviously not you) but I mostly remember him because he was hired at a higher wage than I was 6 months into the job with more experience. A typical Ali Korcheid (sp?) move. The manager was David when I was there.

10/11/06 9:40 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home