Friday, September 23, 2005

highway art

This blog post got me thinking this morning. It was written as comedy, and has its moments, but the author seems to have missed the irony in phrases such as "I'm not going to a Mexican dentist, I don't care how bad it hurts" and "the exit line seemed to go on for miles and that's when I knew I didn't want to stay long" considering that in Mexico, the elderly and impoverished can actually afford to pay for their medicine unlike in some more developed nations. But it was really the existence of these highway signs that blew my mind. The history and current "cult status" of these apparently inocuous signs says more about modern society than I could ever hope to. Read about them here:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050410/news_1n10signs.html

1 Comments:

Blogger andy said...

I know this might be straying from the point of your post, but I was fascinated by the details and psychology of the design process behind that sign. Much more than meets the eye.

24/9/05 1:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home