Tuesday, March 09, 2010

signs of spring

Spring seemed to start here in January -- somewhat ironic for the place that held the "winter" Olympics, but I'm not complaining! On February 20th I took these photos:


The following week I was doing the breakfast-and-lunch-making short-order routine and what should appear on the morning news but footage of my childhood home burning down (see video clip). A couple in their eighties died in the blaze. It was completely unnerving as I have fond and vivid memories of that old rancher in its idyllic setting. Apparently the fire started in a bedroom I shared with my brother (and I'm convinced it started in that evil, dark closet) as you can see by this photo I lifted off a news site:

Yesterday, March 8th, the temperature finally dipped to normal levels for winter, something like 3 or 4C. Murphy having his last winter hurrah maybe? I had to go to White Rock today to pick up some paintings, so Greg and I took Coco to the (very chilly) beach:

She got to hang out with more than just big birds, though. Coco weighs about 40 lbs. Guesses as to how much this Giant Schnauzer weighs?

Then there was Casey, seven weeks post-op after having his foreleg amputated due to bone cancer. He lurrrrved Coco, totally unphased by his missing leg, and she politely tolerated his tragic attempts to hump her.


The coffee at Small Ritual Coffee Society, a Christian coffee house, was much appreciated after that ... then we took down the show. On February 27th I gave a brief talk about these paintings for an evening audience consisting mostly of friends and family of the musical entertainment. It was not exactly my audience -- or, more accurately, I was not exactly their type of artist -- but we do what we can to relieve the monotony of toiling in silence behind the scenes.

I'm ready for spring to return!

11 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

Whiterock beach is the bestest place for dogs, I love bringing my dogs there. Nice photos, I especially love the last one, where was that?

9/3/10 9:01 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Also at the beach at White Rock, except on the other side of the tracks, east of the park, in the protected wetland area. I was so glad the heron parked just there!

9/3/10 9:05 p.m.  
Blogger p said...

i want to live next to you two THAT'S WHAT I WANT!!!!
cool post and again sorry about the house memory thing, but the evil closet blip made me smile.
love the pictures of the eagles and the heron...and i dont like birds she says with a tiredness at hearing what she doesn't like.
i would have gone to listen to you at the christian place just to help you not be out of place. but we do what we can to relieve the monotony of toiling in silence behind the scenes. PERFECT.

10/3/10 4:16 a.m.  
Blogger Melody said...

Yeah, I agree with Paula....I want to live next to you too. I'm already in love with Whiterock even though I've never been there before.... I'll even get a dog

10/3/10 10:00 a.m.  
Blogger Lisa Riehl said...

Love your comments about Casey's "tragic attempts"! Hilarious. Gorgeous photos as well. My brother lives in White Rock, it's nice to visit him as it's such a gorgeous place.

10/3/10 3:14 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Paula and Melody: Shall we start a community? Tiny houses each and one central studio? All on a piece of amazing property of course. You in Ellen?

Lisa: Beautiful and full of beautiful people. Ol' Casey, an average rescue dog, had 17 people who wanted to adopt him when he was younger. I love that.

10/3/10 5:16 p.m.  
Blogger Hayden said...

humm, hard to even imagine how uncomfortable that is, watching your childhood house burn and knowing people were killed. ((shivers))

I'll chime in - wonderful photos!

We had an early, hard winter all December - clear but cold through January, tons of snow in Feb - and now a deceitful pretense at spring. It's all messed up.

11/3/10 5:54 a.m.  
Blogger Hayden said...

had to come back and look at those lovestruck eagles again. amazing shot.

12/3/10 6:23 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Hayden: I had to follow the sound of their voices then try and get a shot through a wall of trees (as you can see). I've been peculiarly lucky with eagle photos. Did you see this one I took last May? http://www.flickr.com/photos/didrooglie/3598742715/

12/3/10 7:59 a.m.  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

I was thinking about you earlier when you mentioned about your childhood home burning down (not to mention the 2 people having lost their lives therein)and it came to me how traumatizing that must have been for you. I know it would be for me despite the fact I don't have a lot of wistful feelings about the home, mainly because it wasn't a very happy time of my life.

15/3/10 9:06 a.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

gee! what an awesome post! I love your paintings in the room with the painted walls, gorge!!!
That bit about the hmping made me laugh :D the pix are sooooo pretty i love the birdys and doggies oh my! ;)

16/3/10 8:49 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home