Wednesday, November 25, 2009

the easy life

I want to be just like Hugh MacLeod when I grow up.

Instead I'm like me. These days being like me means injuring your fingers three times in one week, the last being the worst. I slammed my finger into my minivan's sliding door last night and followed that up with the doctor actually burning a hole in my fingernail to relieve blood/pressure. X-ray results not back yet. Like the cartoon above implies, it's not a very good way to get out of doing work.

But being like me also means that I have the pleasure of Jesse's goofy company for a week. Some of you may remember that Jesse is the Lab puppy we raised for service dog training. He's living at the PADS kennel right now, going through advanced training, but suffering from kennel stress and needed a break. That's code for "the other dogs needed a break". A total clown, he learns fast but has trouble chilling, and has the habit of getting in everyone's faces, making him a bit of a geek in doggy social circles. Coco thinks he's great fun, though, because she can play him like a fiddle. His trainer tells me he'll never make a wheelchair assistance dog, but his enthusiasm and physical power mean he's being guided towards
being a wheelchair-pulling (if they can keep his prey drive under control ... who-o-oah!) or drug-sniffing dog.

That's all the typing I can manage for now with my gimpy hand. No artwork this week!

6 Comments:

Blogger secret agent woman said...

Ooh,n ot good when an artist injures her hand! Hope you heal quickly.

25/11/09 1:42 p.m.  
Blogger p said...

hey i just posted a few days ago on FB about the dean koontz dog memoir i'm rading that i love, he too had a service dog (she injured her elbow so couldn't keep working) great book about a great dog...
and you...you need more service on your finger than anyone i know! hope you get the energy changed around soon and stop hurting yourself!

25/11/09 2:33 p.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Good thing you can drink amdidextrously! (Like me!)

25/11/09 5:57 p.m.  
Blogger Ellen said...

Poor you. You must have been SCREAMING. Your colourful description of the doctors visit you wrote on FB still gives me the heebie jeebies. I see you spared people here:) Hope you've settled into your earned role of ordering all the menfolk around the house.

Jesse's looks all grown up.

25/11/09 6:40 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

SAW: Much better now, thanks.

Paula: Sounds like the kind of reading I need to do right now.

Dinah: Look Ma! No hands! (I can use my feet.)

Ellen: He is all growed up. But still a baby.

27/11/09 5:36 p.m.  
Blogger Tracey said...

yikes glad to hear your hand is feeling better!

29/11/09 6:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home