Wednesday, November 18, 2009

a beautiful day in the neighbourhood

arts off main inventory mosaic

OK, it's actually cold and starting to rain again with another storm on the way -- but my back is better and I had a good workday! Just before heading out this morning I got a call from Mila, the gallery manager at the Federation Gallery on Granville Island. I entered one of my mini drawings in the annual Small Painting Salon (it's a holiday tradition for me now) and won first prize! (AKA The Ellen Poole Award -- Ellen Poole is the FCA's archivist.) It had been awhile since I'd gotten off my butt to show anything there so it was a pretty nice surprise. Check out the rest of the show (67 pieces) and the other award winners (second, third and two or three Awards of Excellence) here. This is the piece that won.

To add to my good day I headed down to Arts Off Main, a very well-run artist's co-op, gallery and framing shop in Vancouver, just east of Main Street at 216 East 28th Ave. They have accepted me as a consignee and I dropped off the above six small pieces. Take a look at their website and if you're in Vancouver drop into the gallery between Wednesdays and Sundays.

17 Comments:

Blogger denise said...

Congrats on winning first prize - very deserving. Ever so glad your back has improved.

18/11/09 4:48 p.m.  
Blogger p said...

hey andrea, this is fantastic! ( i like the fish piece in the center). love hearing about the prize and being accepted as consignee (i have no idea what that means but it sounds important). glad you are feeling better!

18/11/09 5:24 p.m.  
Blogger nadine said...

Congrats!!!

18/11/09 5:46 p.m.  
Blogger Ellen said...

way to go on all fronts! I'll be throwing distance from Arts Off Main soon, I'll pop in and take a look.

18/11/09 7:47 p.m.  
Blogger Melody said...

Fantastic news Andrea and well deserved...

19/11/09 6:42 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks guys. We all need days like these to connect the dots of the other days!

19/11/09 9:39 a.m.  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Hey - way to go! You rock!

By the way, have you ever tried to place anything in galleries in Banff? I was in a few of them last week when I was there and in one in particular (sorry - can't remember the name) I thought "Andrea's paintings would fit in perfectly here". There seem to be a lot more galleries there now than there was when I lived there. (And thankfully, some of them are replacing kitschy souvenir shops.) It might be worth a trip through the mountains for you some day. :-)

19/11/09 2:06 p.m.  
Blogger Niya said...

Hi. This post is likeable and your blog is very interesting, congratulations!!

Regards,
image coloring

19/11/09 9:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Andrea. All of it well-deserved!

20/11/09 2:59 a.m.  
Blogger Tracey said...

congrats Andrea, very well deserved! Wish I would have realized it was there, duh, I was there on Wed and didn't see it :(

21/11/09 8:18 a.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Wow, first prize! That is awesome. It must feel great to get that award, especially considering how good the competition was. There is a lot of talent in that show!

21/11/09 12:36 p.m.  
Blogger San said...

Congratulations, Andrea! That little winter treat of a bird is almost touchable. Seriously, I can feel soft feathers when I look at that. Looks as though song is about to burst forth from that beautiful throat.

21/11/09 2:14 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks all. I love you! :)

21/11/09 5:58 p.m.  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Congratulations on the lovely twists of fortune that have come your way. Well deserved I might add. But, I only say this as a fan of what you do and how well you do it.

23/11/09 2:16 p.m.  
Blogger Hayden said...

congrats on your award! well done, well deserved.

Love these 6... except the house bottom right. ADORE that one. Want to live there.

23/11/09 8:03 p.m.  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

You are awesome and I think that you totally deserve 364 more days just like that one :)

25/11/09 7:32 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

I'm blushing!

25/11/09 12:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home