Thursday, June 05, 2008

the boys in the band

jazz band detail
carl plays guitar with ensemble
It's that time of year again: band concerts, final exams, Australian football wrap-up parties, etc. Last night's concert was so much fun, but with what suddenly seems like a really limited camera, and me sitting way up in the nosebleed seats (it's the best view), the quality of the photos at maximum zoom with a hand-held camera and no flash is not the best, so I felt compelled to photoshop them.

The jazz band portion of the concert was the best. Carl (15) and Adam (13) are the trombone section in the 12-piece band and they are so obviously brothers it's scary. The guitar ensemble got to occupy the stage (see how the lights enhance Carl's red hair) while the other bands got the gym floor. Being trombonists in the back row, getting photos of them when they were playing in the concert band was not as easy.

OK, the mom section of this program is over for the day.

8 Comments:

Blogger Peyton said...

Awwwwwwww ... such a proud Mum! And quite right too!!!!

5/6/08 11:32 a.m.  
Blogger tlchang said...

I know what you mean - both my kids play big brass, and are always in the back of the band, partially obscured by music stands the saxophonists' heads... (not to mention my daughter trying to duck or slide down in her chair when she thinks I have exceeded my alotment of photo attempts...)

5/6/08 2:32 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm still a fan of my son. Only now he is the music teacher.

Bravo to your boys

5/6/08 8:09 p.m.  
Blogger Cynthia said...

HOw fun!!

I would be beaming proud of them too!

6/6/08 7:56 a.m.  
Blogger mimi said...

Look at that beautiful hair! Hmm I wonder where he got that! Yes, a busy time for you, end of the school year. It was the same for Sam (and Robin) on percussion, always in the back. When they played their jazz band concerts at the local blues club, I could only catch glimpses of them. I always thought they should build a platform for them, expecially the drum set. With school funds the way they are, I would have had to build it :-/
Nice photos, great looking kids, proud mama.

6/6/08 8:13 a.m.  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Kewl.

All of that 'school stuff' is so nostalgic..this year I have a boy in grade one and another finishing grade twelve...so I am being pulled like Gumby but i love every second of it.

The inevitable comparisons and realisation of how fast they zip through school...as if they hop on some treadmill that whisks them off..makes me more aware of how much we need to absorb all of the little things that help to create and mold our children.

Awesome.

6/6/08 8:21 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Peter: So true -- I am, shamelessly, very proud.

Tara: How familiar that sounds! At least my kids are tall and they get to be seen when in the jazz band.

Toni: Music + art = a magic combination, isn't it?

Cynthia: Thanks and I just can't help the occasional post about them.

Molly: It is pretty nice hair, isn't it? They both have nice hair: Adam's has great texture, Carl's great colour.

Donn: Wow -- it is a big year for you and your family. I can see you really revelling in it. I'm not sure my dad even showed up for my childhood. :)

6/6/08 9:12 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Cello and two violinists around here...I can empathise with the sound level in your home as well.
a.

13/6/08 11:30 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home