Saturday, May 17, 2008

little boxes

This blog is coming up on its third birthday and there have been numerous times over the past three years when I've wished it was a different kind of blog. When things go south I'd love to be able to write about it, because I know how useful, even cathartic, making sense of it all through writing can be for me ~ not to mention the fact that I love reading blogs myself where people spill their guts. But this is primarily an art blog, I don't write it under a pseudonym or anomymously, and it is intimately tied to my career, so circumspection is necessary. When I fiinally pull my finger out and write an anonymous blog I'll invite y'all over :). Meantime, now that the dust has settled in my corner, it's back to business. (And wasn't that the longest-winded apology for being lazy about blogging ever?)

First order of the day: Effusion Art Gallery is opening its doors this weekend in the lovely lakeside community of Invermere, British Columbia, where ski hills and hot springs are as common as dirt. If you are anywhere near the Columbia Valley, wine and cheese and fantastic art will be served from 5 until 8 pm tonight. I am scheduled to take part in a three-person show at the end of August, so stay tuned for that.
Secondly, I made a fantastic score when I got this great little painting by Ellen Sereda. I love the way Ellen paints, but it was the fact that the crow appears to be buried in the 'little boxes' of suburbia that made me really identify with the subject matter. And then she wrote that "they are adaptable, clever in getting their way, social and into garbage..." and I knew I was onto something.
Because I've been so absent, it's been ages since I delivered any Rudylinks, so I'll end with:
including how to make your own font
I just checked and realized that 'our' third birthday is only two days away. I'll be back that day with a draw for a print or maybe something else so don't forget to check in.

15 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Great art - both yours and Ellen Sereda's.

17/5/08 12:54 p.m.  
Blogger Ellen said...

I'm glad you like the painting (and I can't wait to get my trade). I've seem to have gotten an immediate headache from those links, trippy stuff. An anonymous blog would be cathartic, but you're too together, perhaps make up a crazy, outlandish character to vent through?
Congrats on making it 3 years with great art, insight and writing!

17/5/08 5:43 p.m.  
Blogger Hayden said...

Congrats on your 3-yr mark, I'll stop back Monday.

Interesting painting- but I simply can't stop myself from asking - did you listen to the TED talk on crows? Wonderful...

17/5/08 7:25 p.m.  
Blogger mimi said...

I like the crow painting too. Good to hear from you again. I was mesmerized by the links. Thanks Andrea and Rudy! So much it will take more than one visit; plus I'm pondering stealing them for my own use....!

18/5/08 12:15 a.m.  
Blogger Melody said...

Happy 3rd anniversary to your blog. I absolutely love reading it. Lucky you to have gotten one of Ellen's artworks.

18/5/08 8:26 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Caroline: Hers is better. :)

Ellen: Thanks, and me? Together? Thanks especially. Love the characxter idea, though. You can be a different character and we can co-blog.

Hayden: No, but crows are amazing birds and I love to watch them. Ellen really captures them.

Molly: Steal away! And I'm not quite back in the saddle yet -- one day at a time.

Melody: Aren't I, though? And I'm so happy to hear you like reading it as I feel, so often, like I fail at writing it because I spend so much time avoiding what I REALLY want to write about. Maybe that's a good thing, like playing better tennis because there's a court there.

18/5/08 7:24 p.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Hey there! Good to have you back. No time for the links right now, but when the sun goes down and forces me indoors...
(And, yes, I liked that crow when I saw it.)

18/5/08 7:36 p.m.  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Good luck with Effusion. Looks like they have a nice mix of artists.

I know what you mean about holding back on what you want to write about.

18/5/08 8:36 p.m.  
Blogger albina said...

Happy almost birthday! Thanks for sharing all of it with all of us!

HUGS!

18/5/08 11:35 p.m.  
Blogger rebecca said...

Congratulations on getting to 3 years - that's some dedication!

Good luck too for all your blogging plans in the future! :)

19/5/08 4:11 a.m.  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

You probably leak a lot more of your emotional state than you suspect and I glean a lot about how you are feeling by the visuals that you present.

Either way I love your blog because you are so incredibly creative and you have a great sense of humour.

Three years is a long time out here..I've chased so many links that looked so promising only to find the carcass of a once vibrant entity...so give yourself some credit for your 'stick-with-it-ness'.

..and speaking of carcasses, I went out to a Provincial Park yesterday and saw hundreds of Crows who are thriving thanks to all of the poor Deer which met their unnatural demise on the roadside. It occurred to me that Humans can't even 'get' to the Great Outdoors without altering the balance.

We kill all of the Predators, the Deer population explodes and then we inadvertently 'control' their numbers by vehicular predation?

19/5/08 5:57 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy soon to be birthday! Wow, three years already. I think a bunch of us in our "art group" started around the same time. Very cool!
a.

19/5/08 6:24 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Dinah: She does a mean crow, doesn't she?

Jan: "Should I or shouldn't I?" The eternal question, eh?

Albina: I'm just glad you're still here, too, after all this time.

This Chicken: I have wavered many times, but so far so good. And thanks.

Donn: I think you are more perceptive than many, and I'm glad for it. On the flip side, sometiumes it takes a fellow tongue-in-cheek artiste to recognize another. As for the crows, I think they're poised to take over as the next world leaders with their smarts and adaptability (not to mention ability to eat ANYTHING it seems).

Andrea: Yes, many have fallen by the wayside, but here we are, still slogging. It must mean something...?

19/5/08 8:22 a.m.  
Blogger San said...

Three years of blogging and you've refrained from venting--Andrea, you're strong!!!

Congratulations on the upcoming show, and on scoring the fabulous crow painting. Crows are a fairly common subject for art here in Santa Fe, and I agree--they are most intriguing.

19/5/08 2:50 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

San: Oh no. I've had my fair share of venting, but I've managed to be either extremely oblique about it, or chosen non-personal subject matter. It's been hard!

19/5/08 6:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home