Thursday, September 13, 2007

auction time

Like most people, I donate money or time or items to a variety of charities throughout the year. September, however, seems to be turning into art auction month.

Vancouver's Arts Club Theatre Company is a non-profit registered charity in which ticket sales account for only 53% of the operating budget. The Stanley Art Auction is one of their fundraising initiatives. Starting today, one of my larger (30" x 40") fish paintings is up for auction at the Stanley Theatre (I took this photo of the Stanley in January) until October 14th. Details about the art, artists and auction are here. The best part is that I got free tickets to their current production.

Last year I took part in the Federation of Canadian Artist's biggest annual fundraiser Paintings by Numbers and was invited to participate again this year, taking place next Friday (September 21st) on Granville Island. The lottery happens like this: 60 artists each donate a painting worth $550 or more. Then 60 numbered tickets are sold for $550 each. On the evening of the draw the ticket holders, artists and a guest each are invited to attend a wine and cheese party and the numbered tickets are drawn in turn by some local celeb. Everyone wants to be first, of course, both ticket holders and artists. There are many factors that come into play when it comes to choice: artist's reputation is right up there because you want good value for your money (and it is -- there probably aren't any paintings worth less than $800), but personal choice often takes precedence. For a peek at this year's paintings, go here.

I think both of these events are good causes since it can be really hard to run a good arts organization on the piddling drops in the bucket of right-leaning governments, so tell your friends and relations! (And get them to bid on my work. :) And next year I think we should encourage the well-heeled professional to donate something, too. What do you think of plastic surgeons donating facelifts and accountants donating tax services?

6 Comments:

Blogger dinahmow said...

Lady, you are a hoot! Donating facelifts (or boob jobs)...Well, why not? A friend of mine used to offer free facial/manicure/make-up for a local charity.And she managed to get the local pharmacist on-board with donations of products. Easier than squeezing that proverbial governmental stone!

13/9/07 2:27 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would never have any paintings left if I donated to every letter that comes my way. I think they should hit on those plastic surgeons and accountants. I do donate to causes I believe in.

13/9/07 8:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Long Nose Gars are very cool. Great painting !

14/9/07 8:04 a.m.  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Love the 'quadruptych' of the house, and the fish. You are so generous. I have a problem with letting things of mine go. I had a conversation with an artist one time in which I said that she must let her paintings go (other than photos) whereas I, as a writer, could always 'keep' my product. Anyway, I commend you for your generosity, my friend.

16/9/07 7:14 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

beautiful experimentual with color!

17/9/07 8:22 a.m.  
Blogger kj said...

hey my friend andrea, i;m late in commenting. i am a well heeled professional and i have often donated my services for charity! in my town, all kinds of people donate from their businesses.

don't want you thinking artists are more altruistic than plumbers, afterall...

:)

18/9/07 9:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home