Saturday, July 21, 2007

in progress

Here we go with part two of the great unfolding.
As you can see from yesterday's post, I did the underpainting in primarily dark and cool tones. The painting is a desert 'scene' (loosely interpreted) and will therefore be painted in light/warm tones. It gives the colours *wow* when the overpainting is placed on top of a complementary-coloured underpainting with those cool tones being allowed to show through in areas.
I started by cutting an acetate stencil for the cacti, then stencilling them in along with bird skulls made with an earlier stencil. Then, using white conte, I sketched in the other motifs and figures I wanted to use, with the exception of the joshua tree as I was having second thoughts about where I wanted it. In this photo you can see that I've gone ahead and painted in the gecko, moon and stars already.
At this point I decided to move the moon to make room for the joshua tree, as I wanted to make it a larger, more powerful presence. Then I painted in the images that were sketched in conte earlier. You can see the conte marks left behind before I washed them off.
This is the final stage of the 'images' part of the painting: adding the patterned areas. In this case it's my favourite Hundertwasser spirals around the gecko, and bird footprints in the lower right quadrant. I debated with myself about putting the joshua tree there, but my paintings can be pretty busy sometimes so it's a good idea to create a place for the eye to rest, so I left that blank, except for the birdie feet.

The next part, painting in the background, is the easiest part to actually paint but the hardest part of the painting to work through/reconcile. It's an exercise in tone and colour relationships and can be extremely tricky to get right, as I will show you later.

16 Comments:

Blogger leonie.wise said...

oooh! very nice! your pictures have such amazing depth and story to them.

21/7/07 5:52 p.m.  
Blogger Todd Camplin said...

I always enjoy process pieces. Its like deconstructing a painting while you make the work. I am happy you included your readers for a little insite.

22/7/07 12:31 a.m.  
Blogger Bronwyn said...

Thank-you for these insights, Andrea, they're interesting & informative.

22/7/07 3:31 a.m.  
Blogger Cream said...

Great to see how you work, Andrea! Not only did you move the moon but you sure are reaching for it with your beautiful art! Merci!

22/7/07 4:40 a.m.  
Blogger carla said...

I really enjoy watching the "birthing" process, Andrea! I love your desert-savannah concept...can't wait to see the evolution from cool to warm! (p.s. - the fish paintings and drawings are stunning...but we never took pics...too busy chatting away with our wonderful and gracious hosts...in fact, we took all of three photos the entire time!)

22/7/07 6:14 a.m.  
Blogger Angela Wales Rockett said...

Ooooh, I like it! Thanks for the sneak peek. Can't wait to see the completed piece.

22/7/07 9:37 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Leonie: Thanks. They do take time! Wish I could do a one-off like some painters.

Camplin: Thanks. They're fun to do and it's also part of my way of thumbing my nose at that "hoarder" mentality I ranted about in June.

Bronwyn & Cream: My pleasure.

Carla: Wish I could've joined you four for dinner!

Angela: This is the scary part because now comes the second-guessing and trying to pull it all together. Wish me luck!

22/7/07 1:31 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea, that painting looks similar to my new surroundings. It is beautiful. You would be astounded by the sunsets here. The entire sky looks like it holds the smouldering embers of a fire.

Jordan

22/7/07 10:01 p.m.  
Blogger Barbara said...

Good to see you back at the drawing board.

I stopped by Gallery 14 today and saw that you're scheduled for a show there soon - congratulations!

22/7/07 10:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, I would LOVE to have that on my wall! I like your blog header image too.

23/7/07 10:45 a.m.  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

very very kool...i am going to send my daughter over here to look at your stuff, i love it!

23/7/07 3:59 p.m.  
Blogger CS said...

Wow, I appreciate the step-by-step explanations - it's such foreign thing to me and I love getting a little insight into the process.

23/7/07 4:39 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Jordan: I'm so glad you're liking your big move. I hope you'll blog about your new house!

Barbara & Martha: Thanks!

Dragonflyfilly: What a cool 'name' you have!

CS: More to come!

23/7/07 4:54 p.m.  
Blogger Catalina said...

love this Andrea! The colours! everything!

Would you like some pictures from Venezuela when I come back, just for inspiration?

And THANKS for the procastination link! I need some advice about it! :)

24/7/07 12:38 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey grrl....i love this~

24/7/07 5:19 a.m.  
Blogger Heartful said...

wow, this is stunning, and thank you so much for talking through your process, it's fascinating!

24/7/07 12:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home