Tuesday, May 01, 2007

the interview

Often I find myself reading blogs with more of a personal touch, then chickening out when it comes to my own. But then I run out of things to blog about, so when I saw the interview on Rachel's blog I jumped on board. By the way, Rachel takes amazing photos so you should also check out her Flickr site.
1. What is the significance of your blog title "colouring outside the lines"? Aside from the fact that you draw why "outside the lines"?
The name is an arty spin on the whole notion of "thinking outside the box." Creativity is all about taking risks and looking at things differently from the conventional way and I wanted the name of my blog to reflect that. I also wanted it to reflect the child-like aspect of art-making so it was perfect.
2. When you draw, do you do anything special to get yourself in the "zone" like listen to a certain type of music, certain mindset, etc?
It's usually a case of carpe diem when I get an idea, but often I just sit down with my sketchbook when I'm in front of the TV (hockey game starting soon so I'd better get the pencils ready...) or waiting in the car to pick up a kid or whatever -- with no idea what I want to do -- just that I want to draw! I do have a place I like to draw, in the corner of a sofa in my living room. Painting is a whole 'nother story.
3. If you didn't have to worry about finances, what is the one thing you have always wanted to do?
Be a nomad. I have a very restless nature and travelled/lived various places pre-kids, and I miss it! I can imagine packing up my family, the necessities and my art supplies and living wherever the wind takes us indefinitely, money no object.
4. If you found $1,000 on the street would you keep it or turn it in?
Turn it in -- not because I'm holy and altruistic; I'm simply heavily influenced by guilt! :)
5. What do you think a stranger would say about you if you had one day to spend with them, chatting, eating, etc.?
"What a nutter ~ change the locks!"
DIRECTIONS FOR THE INTERVIEW MEME
1. Leave a comment saying, "Interview me." Cut me some slack -- it may take awhile.
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. Please make sure I have your email address.
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

11 Comments:

Blogger kj said...

ok, andrea, interview me.....

(oooh)

1/5/07 11:27 p.m.  
Blogger Cream said...

Definitely a nomad, moi aussi!
I thought your blog name meant exactly that.

2/5/07 12:51 a.m.  
Blogger Ilva said...

What a good idea this is! I hate being interviewed but I like this 'project' so if you have the time and energy-interview me! (i_beretta AT yahoo DOT it) I like getting to know the people behind the blogs a little better through through someone else's questions! So thanks for showing us a little more of yourself.

2/5/07 1:40 a.m.  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Please interview me (ian_l@shaw.ca) because I would be interested in what questions you might ask.
Loved your interview and getting to know your process, and the photo.

Ian

2/5/07 8:08 a.m.  
Blogger Rachel Schell said...

I would have answered the number 3 exactly the same. Did you get inside my head and steal my thoughts?

Thanks for playing. Those were great answers!

2/5/07 9:29 a.m.  
Blogger daisies said...

how wonderful to read these pieces of you : )

i already did an interview a couple of days ago so i won't ask for another but i really enjoyed reading yours :)

2/5/07 9:52 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

kj: Done!

Cream: I immediately knew the answer to that question, as I'm sure you did, too.

Ilva: I gave you really tough ones. Hope I didn't scare you away!

Ian: Done, too. I wanted to ask really personal ones, but controlled myself...

thepinkangel: Maybe we'd meet somewhere in our nomadic journeys!

daisies: I really enjoyed reading yours.

2/5/07 11:23 a.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

wow! brave girl! I wonder if I'd be brave?

2/5/07 2:30 p.m.  
Blogger Ces Adorio said...

I love your answers Andrea, especially about title of your blog which I thought was the case.

2/5/07 5:22 p.m.  
Blogger Paula Manning-Lewis said...

ooohhh! I want to be interviewed too. I really enjoyed reading yours! my email is plewis11-at-comcast-dot-net.

:)

4/5/07 6:42 a.m.  
Blogger barb said...

so happy to be introduce to your blog....amazing photos great writings I'll be back. Check out my nomadic trip at tombstonetumbleweed.blogspot.com/

8/5/07 11:15 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home