Sunday, April 15, 2007

masterpieces

Ever feel like you're spinning your wheels but instead of not moving forward, you're actually creeping backward? I have spent the entire weekend researching, experimenting, painting, drawing, pasting, cutting -- and have managed to throw out TWO paintings (@!?:%#@!*). But not all my creations are bombs. I had a small hand in creating two masterpieces, ages 14 and 12.
Number one masterpiece ran the Vancouver Sun Run for the second time today. The first time he was only ten years old and ran it with my husband Greg and me. We ran at his pace and like a trouper he finished the 10K race in 1:06. Today, with walls of people to run around, he finished it in :51. This is quite an event for Vancouver: one of the world's biggest road races with an estimate of over 54 000 people entered. (I felt so left out -- sidelined by my stupid foot.) Next challenge? His first half marathon on May 6th.

My other masterpiece raised funds like a madman -- well, OK, like a sideshow clown -- to go to Quebec with his Grade 7 French Immersion class. We got so sick of collecting/counting/sorting bottles! Well, he made it, and I got an email from him today:
Hi, guess what? I'm in Québec! Does that surprise you?
I'm feeling well, my throat is doing better. (and don't think I snuck on, we're in the computer room to email our parents.)
Yeah...

My partner in crime (Greg) went along as one of the two parent chaperones. (It had to be two fathers as the two teachers are female.) His pay? The joy of a very challenging week with hyper and hormonally 'gifted' 12 and 13 year olds.
Apparently it's still winter at l'Auberge du Mont. Here's a view of it from this morning's hike:

And here's number two son (the blondish one lying down) enjoying the leftover snow with his classmates:

See? I can do something right! I am blessed with wealth and genius ~ you just have to know where to look!

But back to the drawing board anyway...

18 Comments:

Blogger Bibi said...

In answer to your first sentence, YES! You are not alone.

And another YES, you have created two incredible masterpieces. Hope Greg survives! ;-)

15/4/07 4:03 p.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

Now this would have been a shoo-in for IF's Fortune.Wealth indeed.

By the way, collage people never chuck out things.Chopped into bits, re-oriented they may become saleable art.(The pictures, not the artists!)

15/4/07 4:18 p.m.  
Blogger nadine said...

Andrea, I've just started experimenting with beeswax collage, and I think you would really like it. The beauty of it is, if you put something down and then decide you don't like it, or want to move it, you just heat up that area to melt the wax, and voila! You can peel up the piece and reposition it. Ditto areas of colour made with crayons or oil pastels. Heat, melt, disappear :-) I was inspired after watching Claudine Hellmuth's dvd on beeswax collage (www.collageartist.com).
PS Love seeing the snow pictures :-)

15/4/07 5:09 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Bibi: If anyone can do it, he can -- and has! :)

Dinahmow: If only it wasn't on wood panel...

Nadine: Funny, I was just looking through one of Claudine Hellmuth's books and wondering if I should try beeswax collage but didn't look too carefully. On your recommendation I'll take a closer look now!

15/4/07 5:38 p.m.  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Cmon now, Andrea...I can't ever imagine you painting or producing anything that wouldn't be worth keeping!

Those two masterpieces of yours are indeed that, you're a very talented human being...

15/4/07 6:01 p.m.  
Blogger CS said...

Your art is fantastic, but I know just what you mean about producing masterpieces in your children.

By the wya, I enjoyed that political compass test so much I went ahead and posted on it today.

15/4/07 7:29 p.m.  
Blogger kj said...

i sure liked this peek into your wealth-filled life, andrea.

15/4/07 7:46 p.m.  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Isn't being a mom amazing? I do think one of my greatest achievements is my daughter. I scratch my head sometimes and wonder how I pulled it off!

Congrats to your son for his running feat. (no pun intended) and all my best to your other son and partner in Quebec!

I tried installing my new printer using the French instructions today, but my language skills are terribly rusty. I'll admit, I cheated.

15/4/07 8:04 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"French immersion" puts me in mind of someone drowning in a pool of frogs legs and wine.

15/4/07 11:04 p.m.  
Blogger tlchang said...

Yes, congrats on the masterpieces, indeed! :-) I feel the same way about mine - although I don't rightly feel that I can really claim much of the credit. They mostly 'came' that way. My oldest turns 18 in a couple of months... I don't have him much longer - which makes me very sad. He's a terrific kid.

15/4/07 11:12 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I'm glad you are enjoying the fruits of your labours :-)

And that beeswax collage sounds interesting... might smell good too...

16/4/07 2:25 a.m.  
Blogger Cream said...

When you feel you are not moving forward, stop! Put everything on hold for a little while. When you come back, you will have a fresh outlook on stuff.

16/4/07 6:57 a.m.  
Blogger joyce said...

Nothing sweeter than seeing goodness in your offspring. It gives us all such hope!

16/4/07 7:28 a.m.  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

I agree with you (and with Bibi), and thanks for giving me a bit of inspiration to get started on a 'creative endeavor' I have to get out of the way, and about which I have been thoroughly lacking in self-confidence.

Ian

16/4/07 7:54 a.m.  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Nice way to put it into perspective.

My eleven-year-old daughter does the fun run at the Manitoba Marathon, and this year I asked her if she'd like it if I ran along. She paused a moment and said "Um - do you mind if I run faster than you?" Ha! Of COURSE I don't mine! I'm COUNTING on it!

16/4/07 9:13 a.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

WW: Wish I could take more credit but they will insist on being INDIVIDUALS!

CS and Cynthia: Yeah, let's take all the credit! :)

KJ: It's all about the moments spent, not the dollars, right?

Tara: Do I detect a little early Empty Nest Syndrome? (I'll be feeling the same way!)

Caroline: Fruits of my labours or fruits of my loins? :)

Cream: That is truly good advice.

Joyce: Kids are as much a creative process as any art form, aren't they?

Ian: Get on with it -- and then blog about it, please.

Heather: I love that!

16/4/07 11:50 a.m.  
Blogger Mei Shile said...

I know that place. It's in the Québec City region and for twice I got my office Christmas party there. A really nice place to go!

21/4/07 4:06 a.m.  
Blogger Merisi said...

Oh yes, kids are master pieces!
And I am with Cream, stop and smell some roses, go look at other people's work (dressmaker, museums, cooks!). Then you will be more than ready to get be to the drawing board.
I sometimes shred my papers. And think I need to go and get a steady job (I have this secret desire of working as a line cook - what envy, always knowing what to do and what comes out!). And then things happen when I least expect it, somebody somewhere throws me a line I didn't even know existed.
Good luck,
M.

23/4/07 12:46 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home