Friday, November 17, 2006

Illustration friday: thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is the theme for this week's Illustration Friday. I used American clip art, but avoided the whole pilgrim thing as Thanksgiving in Canada is different in more ways than the month in which it's celebrated.

How did I get this image? I started by printing up some Thanksgiving-themed clip art from Dover Publications in greyscale. Then I coloured the clip art (with the exception of the woman and her dead turkey) here and there with pencil crayons. Next I scanned the three images I was working with, plus a leaf I found in the garden yesterday. Each image got photoshopped according to whatever struck my fancy at that moment. I then Warholized the woman and the horn-o-plenty images. Finally, I used Mosaic Maker to create the final image. Who says you need to be able to draw to make art? All you need is a brain that has a taste for tangents. I could've gone in so many different directions with this one using the same basic building blocks.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, i did a similar take. love your illo! though we don't celebrate thanksgiving in germany. how nice you describe the process.

17/11/06 4:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrea, I love your mosaic turkey!
What will you serve with it? Mosaic carrots and peas?

17/11/06 5:14 p.m.  
Blogger Ces Adorio said...

"Who says you need to be able to draw to make art?"

YES, YES, YES!!! I have some friends who think what they are making (quilt) is not art because it's not using oil paints, drawing pencils or acrylics. I wonder sometimes if they are just trying to be humble.

17/11/06 6:20 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I was so bummed when I say "thanksgiving" was the topic. I'm so over thanksgiving. I like what you did though, it's cool.

17/11/06 7:08 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Belinda: Saw yours -- love it!

Cream: that would be cubed turkey I take it?

Ces: Creativity and art are so much more about the brain than the hands, aren't they?

Krista: I tried the 1+3 format but it messed with the grid pattern so settled with the standard mosaic.

17/11/06 7:19 p.m.  
Blogger Caroline said...

I struggled with the theme briefly since we don't have a thanksgiving at all - Jim looked it up and found the nearest we have is Harvest Festival which I've never celebrated...

I like the way you tackled it.

That turkey looks like its transforming into a peacock maybe it hopes to escape the table!

18/11/06 12:21 a.m.  
Blogger carla said...

I can't wrap my mind around this week's topic... for me, it feels too predictable and/or sappy. I think I'll grade papers instead and be thankful for the time to paint next weekend:> However...I like the fun you had with this! I think fooling around with digital manipulations is a great break from painting. Low stress, high fun factor! The leaf is cool. It almost looks like leather!

18/11/06 8:15 a.m.  
Blogger Liz Jones said...

Cute-- I love the turkey's feathers, bottom left-- great colors!

18/11/06 8:31 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your nice comment!
Your illo is colourful and original.

18/11/06 9:03 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes it is fun just to play with digital.
Your warhol mosaics always look great

18/11/06 1:35 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very nice take on the topic!

20/11/06 7:32 a.m.  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

love it!

20/11/06 6:30 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice idea. I like it

21/11/06 7:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home